• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding Linnies

Melanie6262

Moving in
Hello! I have just aquired my first linnie, and am absolutely in love with the breed. They are a very rare breed where I live, but seem to be the perfect little bird. So, I am curious about breeding them in the future (after lots of research, of course). So here's a few questions:

At what age should a breeding pair be introduced?

Does the pair need to grow up together to reduce the chance of fighting, or can they be introduced at a much later date?

Does the pair need to always be housed together, or can they be separated when you don't want them to breed?

Thanks!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Please do not breed.

Melanie6262

Moving in
No need to be rude, I'm simply asking to see if it's even something I'd be interested in at a later date. Just trying to do some research.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Sorry but there are so many great birds out there is rescues, shelters, and humane societies. There is little to no money to ever be made by breeding. Please understand this topic debated until its a beaten down horse. We have alot members here that are going be in your face about breeding. I'm just one person that believes adopted don't shop.

Melanie6262

Moving in
I completely understand, as I have adopted birds in the past. The offspring would be for us to have. We are just curious about raising one set to get to hand raise our own birds. However, depending on the answers to the questions above, we may or may not choose to do this.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Many members here are anti-breeder, no matter who would be doing the breeding. As a beginner, you're not going to get a lot of support here. Having worked with some breeders, I can tell you that no book or internet forum will adequately prepare you. It is a daunting task with many potential pitfalls.

What would happen to the original pair after you have hand raised pets? Also, I would like some clarification. If you're seeking pets, why raise your own? It's so much easier to adopt or purchase HF babies. Also, if your current linnie is a pet, your relationship would definitely change if it became part of a pair. And FYI, parrots are species, not breeds.

Good luck!

Melanie6262

Moving in
Thanks, I was worried about how our linnie would change if he was paired up.

Melanie6262

Moving in
And yes, I'm aware they are actually a species, I just couldn't think of the word

We would be keeping the original pair. And my family is interested in having the experience of raising our own. But I see that it's going to be much more involved than doing something like raising rabbits, which we've done in the past. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have just aquired my first linnie
At what age should a breeding pair be introduced?

Does the pair need to grow up together to reduce the chance of fighting, or can they be introduced at a much later date?

Does the pair need to always be housed together, or can they be separated when you don't want them to breed?
That doesn´t sound like you have this new birds best interests as priority. Like you said, you just got this bird - you dont even know their personality yet, and is this bird even settled in it´s new home? Seems very quick.

Remember, bringing a second bird home won´t guarantee they will get along. You could end up with two birds who dislike each other.

Birds that are bonded should never be split. It´s like telling a young woman to go live in a seperate house to her boyfriend to avoid pregnancy.

Also, if you have a full time job that is not home based, or you go to school/university full time, you won´t have enough time to dedicate to breeding.

Did you realise you didn´t even introduce this bird?

I hope you will be happy just enjoying the company of your bird, and learning all about him/her. Breeding is very complex, and not to be something taken lightly. If something goes wrong, birds can die and you could jeopardize your relationship with your first bird.

Welcome to the forum :)
Please introduce your bird to us (I feel bad calling him/her ¨bird¨):
Welcome Lane | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Melanie6262

Moving in
Thanks for the advice. Like I said, we have no plans of breeding now, just had some questions in case it was something we were interested in later on (as in, like a year from now at minimum). Just some questions we had thought of and figured we'd ask. His name is Ollie :) After hearing so much about how he will likely no longer be a good pet (from other research and this thread), ito not really something we are considering anymore, as we love our cuddly and sweet boy.

Attachments

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the advice. Like I said, we have no plans of breeding now, just had some questions in case it was something we were interested in later on (as in, like a year from now at minimum). Just some questions we had thought of and figured we'd ask. His name is Ollie :) After hearing so much about how he will likely no longer be a good pet (from other research and this thread), ito not really something we are considering anymore, as we love our cuddly and sweet boy.
Your Ollie is adorable. I have a darling 1 year old female Linnie, Gigi. Linnies are the best! Come visit us in the Linnie section! There aren't a lot on the board and I'd love another Linnie fan to chat with!