• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding again

ranonimcab

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Joni
My parent lovebirds Sylvia and Skittles hatched 5 of their 6 eggs starting January 27th. Youngest baby is 12 days younger than the oldest. Starting yesterday the parents started breeding again even tho the 2 oldest babies just began to climb out of the nest box. The parents are still feeding all the little ones but I'm now concerned that I need to separate momma before she possibly begins to want the box to lay again and tries to run the babies out. I don't intend to allow another clutch until possibly June IF I even allow a second hatch this year. So my question is should I get ahead of the situation and go ahead and separate momma now or do a wait and see? Advice please.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Boil your eggs or swap for dummy eggs. Monitor very closely. At the first sign of a chick getting pushed out of the way, hurt or not fed, remove the clutch and finish the weaning yourself.

ranonimcab

Real Name
Joni
Thank you I ended up separating mom last night dad is feeding this morning like a champ hes crazy about his babies. Any suggestions for encouraging the babies to eat enough formula from me? They will eat a little off my finger but not from a spoon or syringe.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Patience. Keep trying with the spoon. Monitor the crops closely to be sure that dad can keep up and supplement where needed.

ranonimcab

Real Name
Joni
Thank you your such a big help I truly appreciate it!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How are you getting on? The chicks doing ok?