• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeder recs?

seamonkeychar

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Can anyone recommend (via PM obviously) a good, ethical Parrotlet breeder with healthy babies? I am looking for a parrotlet and my main concern is health. I am looking for recommendations (or even words of caution). Thanks!

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I've gotten both my boys (two years apart) from Sandee and Earl at Linville's Aviary. They're located near Miami but will ship! Our experiences have always been very positive. Sandee responds to questions quickly and they both socialize their babies very well. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but both of our males have been excellent talkers. :) They seem to specialize in the blue mutations (so that's one thing to consider) and both our birds have always passed their wellness exams with flying colors! I remember appreciating that they feed their breeders a diet of pellets, seed, and fresh foods as the health of a baby starts in the egg. Overall I don't think you could go wrong with them!

I do have to offer a word of caution against Fly Babies Aviary. This is a very large aviary with IMO questionable practices. The owner admits that the way she "tames" babies is by holding them in a towel to "impart love, happiness, friendship, etc, etc". Apparently this makes the babies completely terrified of hands by the time they come home (according to their reviews)!

seamonkeychar

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you Calpurnia! I will look into Linville's. And as far as Fly Babies, I was already staying far away, I have heard things about them too.