• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bourkes Parrot pooping undigested seed

MochiNugget

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! My Bourke's parrot Mochi (1.5yrs old) has been pooping whole seeds since December, and he can't seem to shake the illness. I apologize if this post is a bit lengthy, but here's the full background:

It started in December when I switched his seed to a different brand, and most poops had undigested seed.

I took him to the vet at the start of January, where they took poop samples and ran in house and external lab tests. The external lab result came back with bacteria.

We treated him for bacteria with an injection of Vibramycin 1x/week for 3 weeks over the course of January and I fed him plain seed. He stopped pooping undigested seed within 2 days of the first shot and he seemed back to normal. Towards the end of his treatment I started mixing some fancier colorful seed into his diet since he seemed okay. A few days after he finished his final shot, which should have stayed in his system for the full week, he started pooping a lot of undigested seed again.

I immediately switched him back to plain seed and the seed poop cleared up within a week. It could have been the Vibramycin still in his system, or it could have been the food change... although the vet assures me that the seed brands shouldn't be causing him digestion problems since it's pretty much the same stuff across the board.

I also started him on bird probiotics which I mixed into his water a few times a week. And we had a solid 2 weeks without seed poop.

Then, stupidly, I thought it would be okay to give him some fresh fruit and Zupreem pellets to supplement his plain seed diet. And the seed poop started again, with Mochi pooping 20+ seeds in 1 day.

The vet advised that Mochi could have a yeast infection, which could live in the gut and be absent in poop samples, so we started him on Amphotericin B, 2x a day for 3 weeks. We're halfway through that treatment, but Mochi still poops 1-2 seeds a day.

Is this okay? Any tips on what this could be/how to fix it? I've had birds for over 10 years, but none have been this sensitive to food changes. The vet says after this course of treatment, we can try the antibiotic shots again, but wanted some extra input from you guys. Little Mochi is such a sweet bird, I just want him to be healthy!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Has the vet done any recent fecal exams? What about a crop swab?

MochiNugget

Checking out the neighborhood
The last fecal exam was in January, but they haven't done a crop swab. He hasn't had any regurgitating/vomiting thankfully. The vet did say we could do a certain test for Avian Gastric Yeast, or we could just go ahead with the yeast treatment (Amphotericin B), which he taking now for good measure.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nystatin is normally used for yeast infection ,,,you can also combat it naturally with BRAGGS apple cider vinegar, ,but do consult the vet..

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It would probably be best to get another fecal done once meds are done or right before being finished.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne