• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boothieman is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
We took him to the vet and they basically wasted our money. We need to find a great vet around here for felines that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. (Monty had a seizure a few weeks ago; essentially wiping out our spare fund).

He's been peeing all over the place and throwing up. I have been syringe feeding him fluids and cranberry juice today so we can hopefully get the urine sample the vet needs for testing.

I feel so bad for my sweetiepie. He's been locked in the bathroom most of yesterday and the night in hopes that he will use the nosorb cat litter for the sample. He is running a bit of a fever but the vet wouldn't give us antibiotics or anything (likely UTI) until they have the sample. As of right now he hasn't expelled in at least 24 hours. We did get him to eat some watered down wet cat food this morning. Poor thing has taken up residence under the bathroom sink in the cabinet!

So if you don't mind, please keep him in your thoughts. We're a little at a loss right now.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh,I'm so sorry. Many prayers and good thoughts for dear Booth :hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm so sorry. This must be so stressful. :hug8:

It most likely is a UTI. I hope you can get the sample in soon so he can get started on some antibiotics before the infection gets worse or moves up to the kidneys.

Did the vet try to get urine from him?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If he isn't eliminating at all then he may have a urethral blockage and CAN'T void except for overflow. Get yourself another vet ASAP is you want to keep Booth alive.

Last edited:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Well, he peed...just not in our makeshift bathroom litter box. He peed on the sweatshirt we had in the cabinet for him to snuggle on. So, good news at least and I'm just going to pump him full of some more cranberry and water in hopes he does it again. :)

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Amanda you should ask Dr. Wells at AEC where Monty goes. She has a dog and probably knows of a good vet over there for cats.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
This has worked for us in the past. Add 5 drops of GSE to water or any juice and feed. Slippery elm is also great for the digestive tract, you can purchase powder at a local health food store, mix one part SE to 4 parts water, add to food or syringe feed. You can Google for many tips on Slippery Elm and GSE.

Gary

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Right now we're just going to get through this with the vet we started with. We got the sample and hubby is on his way over to the vet to find out wtf is going on with it now. It seems like AA is magic, I post on here and he starts looking better!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Great news! Keep us updated!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
We took him to the vet and they basically wasted our money. We need to find a great vet around here for felines that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. (Monty had a seizure a few weeks ago; essentially wiping out our spare fund).

He's been peeing all over the place and throwing up. I have been syringe feeding him fluids and cranberry juice today so we can hopefully get the urine sample the vet needs for testing.

I feel so bad for my sweetiepie. He's been locked in the bathroom most of yesterday and the night in hopes that he will use the nosorb cat litter for the sample. He is running a bit of a fever but the vet wouldn't give us antibiotics or anything (likely UTI) until they have the sample. As of right now he hasn't expelled in at least 24 hours. We did get him to eat some watered down wet cat food this morning. Poor thing has taken up residence under the bathroom sink in the cabinet!

So if you don't mind, please keep him in your thoughts. We're a little at a loss right now.
I'll say a prayer for all of you and keep you in my thoughts. There's nothing trickier than a piddling pussycat and a vet who isn't really any help. I've been there with a geriatic pusssycat and I wasn't happy either. :(

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
It sounds like the urinary tract blockage that male cats get. One cathaterizes the cat, relieving the UTB & at the same time, a urine sample is obtained. Meds for preventing bacterial growth, diet change to prevent it happening again. What's the problem? It's really painful for the cat, & not rocket science to fix. Don't mean to sound like a know-it-all; I hate to see any animal suffer needlessly:confused: Best of luck to you & Boothie:heart:

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Urinary tract problems with toms is very tricky. It is so easy for them to get lower urinary tract infections and blockages and sometimes they can be difficult to properly diagnose. I really hope poort Boothie get some relief soon. If I really need my cats to drink, I buy some cheap tuna in water and use the blender to pulverize the tuna and add water to it to make it very thin. I also give the water used for packing as a drink treat and they love it.

Good luck with the vet and I hope he gets better soon. How is Isabella doing?

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Many good thoughts for Booth. :( Hopefully he'll feel better soon and be on the meds he needs to be on.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Well, thanks to my mom's advice I syringe fed him cranberry juice which is a natural remedy for blockages and UTIs. The urine test showed a blockage had been present (red blood cells in urine) but the cranberry made it bite the dust. ;) He's on amoxacillin now and hopefully will have a speedy recovery. (Basically, what I thought was wrong with him was wrong with him and we spent more than $100 for this vet to write us an antibiotic prescription. Even the vet tech was asking the vet why he didn't give us antibiotics yesterday. Needless to say I will not use this vet again.)

If you ever have a kitty with urinary problems, I highly recommend cranberry juice. I also plan on using ACV if we ever have a next time, since that was suggested as well. I might start putting it on his food to help things along, too.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Oh and THANK YOU AA for your special healing thoughts! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.