• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonding with budgie?

LilyPoll12

Moving in
Real Name
Lily Pollock
I’ve had my budgie since Christmas, I’ve had him/her in my room around me all the time they eat from my hands and are pretty comfortable around me, I want to be able to build my bond with my bird and help them relate me to good things they are very millet motivated but theyre still weary of me fluffing up and stretching when I get up or come near the cage but not showing any signs of major stress how do I get my budgie to see me as a friend?

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
For me it was just a matter of interacting and being around them as much as possible. Make sure you respect their boundaries, so they know that you’re not a threat and aren’t forcing them to do anything they don’t want to. Just keep motivating them with the food and just generally keeping them company :).

I think mine enjoyed spending time with me more when I actually made them work for treats, such as getting them to fly to me, go through my hands as a tunnel, spin etc. They also enjoy eating whole pieces of veg from my hands, it’s nice because it’s something different for them and they get excited because it’s normally different in their cage. I also play with them, so I hold their shredding toys in front of them outside the cage and they like playing with them with me.

I have 2 budgies now, and one that had passed, and they were/are tame to different extents. One gives me kisses and preens my face, one used to spend loads of time with me and sit on my head, one talks to me loads and enjoys being carried around everywhere. I think it all depends on their personality.

Good luck! :)