• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonded Budgie and Lovebird

HannahBean

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I have taken in a bonded budgie and lovebird. They both feed eachother and are like two peas in a pod. They are in a large flight cage at the momment. But I’m still concerned about the fact that love birds should not be housed with budgies because of saftey reasons. On the other hand I’ve also read its cruel to seperate bonded pairs.

What would you recommend? And if I should seperate them, whats the most humane way to go about it?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I would leave them together unless you see aggressive behavior.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Lovebirds (especially females) can turn on a bonded mate and kill them, and that is lovebird/lovebird pairing.
One squabble and the budgie will be at best serously injured.
There have been posts on this forum RE one lovebird killing the other.

I personally would buy a cage, something like this:
lm_4168fe0093bb30d6f8c31474bd0764e6ac01535371660.jpg
So that there is a divider to put in at night time and when you are not home. When you are there and the birds are caged, they can have the whole cage, and also be allowed out of the cage together to fly.
That way they are still housed together, but there is a little more safety when you are not around.

Welcome to the forum Jessie :)

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Great. I´m glad things are going well for you. Remember, you can open the divider if you are in the same room :)

Serin

Sprinting down the street
This is sad. I have had and fostered so many mixed couples that are best of friends. Lovies especially males to very well bonded to a budgie and I don't think this sepaation was necesary.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don't think this sepaation was necesary.
The birds aren´t completely separate. They are in the same cage when OP is at home. The divider is just a security measure for night times or when OP is not home. They can still preen through the bars.

Lovebirds are can be so unpredicatable at times. Imagine if when this thread was created we all said ¨ahh they´re friends leave them together...¨ and then later something bad happened.

OP is free to do with their birds as they choose, the board is just looking out for not only the birds but OP too.