• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bobs results are +

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
My others are healthy at this time. Is there anything that I can do to ensure that it stays that way....Doc is hoping that since his AVB poop test was - he was not shedding the virus....that and he was quarentined that we missed the bullet...He was probably just tring to make us feel better... Is there anything else I can do...i.e. wash the whole house in bleach???? I feel like I need to do something

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I am sooo sorry to hear about the PDD!! Sorry I have no idea of what to do:(

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I'm so sorry to hear of this :(
At least now you have some closure.
I am sure the vet is right...I would watch your flock very carefully. As to how to stop the spreading, I haven't the slightest clue...perhaps your vet might have some insight on things you can do?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dawn, I am so sorry to hear this! The only thing you can do at this point is a heavy duty thorough cleaning with Bleach or F-10. I will say prayers for the rest of your flock, that they remain healthy.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh no, how frightening! Sending lots of positive energy for the rest of your flock.:hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I'm sorry Dawn - Judy is right - a good cleaning is all you can do

sending prayers and positive energy for you

:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would throw out everything I could. I would probably haul all the cages for recycling for scrap metal and get all new. Everything I could replace I would. I know it's doesn't sound practical, but that's what I would do.

Ginger

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im so sorry,I hope the rest of your flock is ok.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Dawn I know this is so hard....i would clean, clean clean more than you have already. Steam clean the sofas and F 10 them....everything you can think of...and Bob's cage... make sure you don't put it to the curb. I know we have regulars who pick up things...I wouldn't want it to be used for another bird. Air out your house when the weather warms up.. throw out anything porous....

I pray your other babies are ok....I KNOW they will be!!!!

I cry often for you and Bob...You know how much I care.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Many hugs for you and your husband Dawn. I pray that everything stays good for the rest of your flock. As others have said, I would clean and throw away any toys and his cage so no one else uses it.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
ABV is an airborne disease. It can be found 50 ft from the host through 2 closed doors. This was announced at the Asociation of Avian veterinary conference this year. So your other birds have already been exposed to ABV. However, it is estimated that 60% of all parrots in captivity in the US test positive for ABV and only half of those birds will ever show signs of PDD. However, it is possible for them to spread ABV even if they are not showing signs of PDD. To put your mind at ease you could test your other birds for ABV but even if they test positive that doesn't mean that they will ever get PDD.

Red Jasper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elizabeth
Dawn, here is a very good article on how to clean and sanitize the possible affected areas. The article is about Psit. but the same principle applies as they are both transferable diseases: Psittacosis / Chlamydiosis / Ornithosis / Parrot Fever: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options as well as Prevention

PS - As far as perches, bowls and toys, I washed them in bleach then put them all in the freezer for 24 hours. The disease cannot withstand freezing or excessive heat. Anything with strings or material on it, I threw away as a precaution.

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8:I think about you and Bob often. For what it is worth, sunlight is thought to kill the virus, but if it was me, I would get rid of even the cage, even if you bleach it to kingdom come. Just to be extra sure. I just could not look at it. But that's just me.
You were not blubbering. If you were, so was everybody else here.

I think your flock will be just fine. I know you'll watch them really carefully and be on alert. That's all you can do. That, and believe.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry, Dawn. You've gotten good advice. All I can add is good thoughts :hug8:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh Dawn, so very sorry. I'll keep your flock in my prayers. I can't add anything to how to go about sanitizing everything. I'd throw away what I could and bleach and steam clean everything else.:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

I would also throw away anything that could not be properly disenfected!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Can you ask your Doctor?
Unfortunately most vets (even Avian vets) don't know much about PDD. It is a very hard disease to diagnose and test for. The test for ABV has just been developed over the last couple of years and there is still a lot of mystery as to how it's spread and why some exposed birds get it, while others don't. I was told by a vet who attended the AAV conference this year that it was announced that recent studies showed that it is indeed an airborne disease (it was previously thought to be contagious through an infected birds droppings and other fluids). I don't think this information has gotten around to all Avian Vets who did not attend the conference, so not all vets will know best on this subject. If her vet is telling her that since Bob was kept in another room there is nothing to worry about with her other birds, I'm assuming he/she hasn't heard about the new studies. There are several vets who specialize in PDD who I would contact if you are worried about your other birds.

Also, the ABV virus doesn't live long off of the host. It dies in several minutes away from a host so I wouldn't worry too much about disenfecting. If you want to make yourself feel better you can, but really, the virus is probably already gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.