• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boba mating dance?

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
So Boba has been dancing, bobbing his head with his beak open slightly, and clicking rapidly at me the past week or so. He also slowly spreads his wings and wags his tail, separately. Usually he does this after he gets a treat or eats. He is about half comfortable with my hands in his cage but still won't step up in it, only out side of the cage. He's almost six months old now and I think he's getting hormonal, it being spring and all. Is he trying to get my, uh, attention, or is he just telling me that he's happy? I only give him scritches above the shoulders when he allows it, and I've been trying very hard to foster a strictly paternal relationship with him to avoid frustration later on.
A bit more info on his behavior in general: he used to come out more, but he's been staying in his cage and won't take food from my hands anymore. He tolerated my hand in the cage, but wont approach it, even when I hold treats through the bars. When he does come out he is very affectionate and cuddles in my hood. He talks and sings a lot. He also stretched a lot when we talk. I spend a lot of time with him, usually more than 3 hours a day. We train in the mornings every day and a few times through out the day. He never tries to bite me. He does get very excited and flaps his wings rapidly after we have been talking for a while.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Gem does this for me - and sometimes for Panda - particularly when she's feeling hormonal and feels the need to stuff every type of paper in her tail and fly around leaving bits of debris in her wake. They're prolific breeders so I imagine it's pretty normal for them. Maybe he sees you as a giant featherless bird of sorts. :D
Gem does get pretty frustrated but I usually just give her time to cool off and completely ignore her when she's displaying to me. It's never really become an issue otherwise. I'd suggest just continuing on ensuring you're not touching him anywhere but the head and reduce day time hours if it becomes more of an issue.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Thanks for the info, I'm glad that I've been dealing with it the right way, i.e. ignoring it. I let him sleep in an hour today and it's helped a bit. I've been leaving the room when he does it to let him cool off. It is nice to know that he is bonding with me though. If only he would get comfortable with my hands. :/

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I try to distract them when they get all matey-clicky-barfy. :D If all else fails, I say I'll be back later and go off to do one of the 127 things are always waiting to be done. :laughing2:

@Gddmsam Turnip adores me and sometime tries to hump or feed my ear or whatever else he can, but he's still not fond of hands. They can love you quite devotedly and never become comfortable with hands.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Good to know, I think once he gets his flight feathers back he'll be more confident. That and getting through puberty, hormones and this molt.