• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue throat conure! Finally progress!!!!- Sad Update- Post #17

kadie

Meeting neighbors
Im a new burd mum to a blue throat conure I have had him about 4 months now and he was petrified wudnt come near. Would try and bite any chance he was given he steps up onto a perch for me no bother. I got a training perch and started to shake the bag of nuts and encouragment he wud fly over and gently take the nut from pincer grip now takes from open hand i have now introduced touch by saying touch and touching his beak then giving a treat if hes good managing that quite well.he actually LET me scratch his head yesterday a few attempts at a bite but jist sed no softly and proceeded with the scratchy scratchy hes finally showing some well earned trust. Wont step up onto my hand yet but by god i think im making good progress when he was never handled before and just in his cage all the time. He has free roam every day almost all day. he was 1 when i got him.any tips welcome.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That’s a neat little bird!
I’m glad you’re having success with him. Food treats go a long way towards convincing new birds that their humans are safe.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
It sounds like you're makung great progress with building trust and bonding with him.
Do you have a picture of him?
I've never seen a blue throat conure before. :)

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I just blew up the profile photo.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Yes, but maybe you can find a typical bird online? From the side it’s a striking bird.

kadie

Meeting neighbors
The photo of him on the ground is where he flew down to see my dogs. Which he had grew curious about i was sat with them for a very long time right next to them with a tea town and clicker ready he has shown massive interest in the dogs and plays with them in the cage running back and forth for them to stand on hind legs and play with him. My upmost concern is the safety of both dogs and mango so i am very careful but he wanted to see them so i let them call me bad but i do need to let them become friends and this was the 2nd encounted he chose to fly to the dogs they dont chase him or anything like that when he is out the cage. So please be nice. Mango literally walks over to the male dog tucker quite the thing chirping away there is no fear there what so ever but my hands well that is a different story

Attachments

kadie

Meeting neighbors
I am also aware that he needs his nails and beak trimmed but trust has been my go to for the minute and a vet visit is schedualled

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
He’s a handsome guy!!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I am also aware that he needs his nails and beak trimmed but trust has been my go to for the minute and a vet visit is schedualled
Oh wow he is adorable. What beautiful colouring he has :heart2:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

kadie

Meeting neighbors
So i thought a wee update would be nice.. mango now flies to my hand lets me stroke him and also lets my son stroke him and flies to him too. He hasnt attempted flight upstairs yet but he tends to fly around then lands on the floor has a wander around to see the dogs then back to 1 of his perches. He gives kisses and he has started a wee dance when asking if he wants new nuts. Next step get him to play with toys.. forage etc. Any tips?

Attachments

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
So i thought a wee update would be nice.. mango now flies to my hand lets me stroke him and also lets my son stroke him and flies to him too. He hasnt attempted flight upstairs yet but he tends to fly around then lands on the floor has a wander around to see the dogs then back to 1 of his perches. He gives kisses and he has started a wee dance when asking if he wants new nuts. Next step get him to play with toys.. forage etc. Any tips?
Wow he’s so gorgeous lovely update

kadie

Meeting neighbors
With a heavy aching heart.Such a sad day yesterday poor mango had been fighting with a wee sore on his chest 4 vet visits 1 vet hospital through the night then back to vet again yesterday to be stitched up vet opened him up a wee bit further to investigate gunk/puss, to find there was a big hole from his colon up into his body a protruding abdominal injury.
He said the chest injury was not related to it but was a poorly wee birdy so was time for him to close his eyes for good.

Sleep tight our cheeky wee mango tango

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Oh I am so so sorry.
Sleep tight Mango bird. He is not hurting any more.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road