• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue headed pionus/amazon help!

yhoukka

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tori
hey guys!! so i just picked up my 5 month old blue headed pionus baby from the airport a couple of nights ago. so far hes been eating, drinking water and seems to not be scared of us but the problem is he wont let us anywhere near him! every time i approach, for whatever reason, he just starts bobbing his head and making whiny baby noises. i havent really tried anything because im afraid he'll get spooked and start hating me. i know it's too early to start handling him but if anyone has any advice on how i should begin socializing him that would be great!! (not a first time owner by the way)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Your baby is scared and wants comfort. He/she may also not be eating enough on their own and need supplimental feedings for a little while. Try giving him/her some soft warm foods like cooked unsweetened oatmeal or sweet potatoes. Please don't ignore the baby calls. To developed into a confident independent bird he needs to know he is safe now and his needs will be met.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The head bob/whine is baby language for 'feed me' so as @zoo mom said offer warm, soft food. Even if he refuses it, he may keep begging (so offer it again). They beg and then don't want it when weaning, and he's regressing because he is scared.

Congrats on your new baby! Pis are the best.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
As others said definitely don’t ignore the baby whining. That’s telling you they need something. My macaw regressed and ended up needing to be handfed for months after I got him when he was supposedly weaned. Warm mashed apple and banana were a favorite comfort meal as well.
Are you weighing him regularly? My guy dropped weight like crazy the first few days before we got the feeding/begging schedule figured out. It’s something to look out for.
I know in my experience at least that even when they’re scared and anxious, when they start that baby whining they really need a confident comforting interaction wether it be holding the bowl of warm mash for them while they make a mess lol or just sitting and humming by them while they eat and make a mess lol.