• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue & Gold or a Severe?

Phleni

Checking out the neighborhood
I’ve been waiting a macaw for a very long time and I’m wondering what species to get. Blue & Gold or a Severe? Obviously there is a size difference and the Blue and Gold need a much bigger cage and will probably be more destructive. But I’m wondering more based on personality, I keep hearing not so great things about the severe, specifically that they are notorious one-person birds and can be quite aggressive when they mature. While Blue and Gold seem less extreme in temperament. I do have a family and I’m kind of hoping that the macaw will be able to co-excist with them. Or at the very least, not straight out attack them…

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know anything about the Severe Macaws.

I have had 2 B&G Macaws My first was a rescue/rehome. She had been abused, was kept in the dark 24/7 in a tiny cage, no toys, etc. She was not destructive. Could be because she had no toys until I got her. I got her at age 2 years. It took several weeks to earn her trust. She turned into an amazing companion. Later on when her hormones kicked in she would chase my husband away. I lost her to kidney disease at almost age 22.

My current B&G I got at age 4 months. She will be 4 in April. She is a pistol. She was nippy when I got her & she's still a tad nippy, but also very silly. This one is destructive. She goes thru toys like a buzz saw. She's afraid of everyone but me. If anyone gets close to her she moves away.

B&G Macaws are very forgiving, love silly, love to be involved, etc. They can change when their hormones kick in, but keep in mind each bird is different.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
With my sample size of 1, I will state that Jericho is definitely a one-person bird, but he grew up as the only bird in his previous home for over 10 years, so I'm not sure how he could be expected to have learned flock manners on his own. I also have no insight into whether his previous family established healthy boundaries in their relationship, as in...

That said, I love my medium-sized green goblin and we continue to work around/on those loner traits.

On his own, he's a lovely boy.

Ask me anything.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
With my sample size of 1, I will state that Jericho is definitely a one-person bird, but he grew up as the only bird in his previous home for over 10 years, so I'm not sure how he could be expected to have learned flock manners on his own. I also have no insight into whether his previous family established healthy boundaries in their relationship, as in...

That said, I love my medium-sized green goblin and we continue to work around/on those loner traits.

On his own, he's a lovely boy.

Ask me anything.
Steve, how's merlin doing?

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Steve, how's merlin doing?
Merlin (aka Marvin) is doing great, thanks for asking :)
Her foot isn't 100%, but perhaps... 90%, so only slightly diminished after healing from her ordeal.

(backstory here, which can be relevant this this thread)