• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue & Gold Macaw trying to fly him out to another state

Bentley_10

Moving in
Real Name
Derrick/Travis
So I have a question!
I have a 5 month old Macaw
And I currently live in Florida but always back and fourth to Denver, Co because of family.
What is the best way to fly him with me?
airport in US only
(Jacksonville, FL to Denver, Co)

Attachments

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I've heard of some people simply taking their bird with them in a carrier, I personally wouldn't be comfortable using the typical dog/cat flight.

Might be best to phone your flight company and ask.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
You are asking the wrong question.

The question is which airlines will transport your bird either with you onboard or not?

In the US continental states…

American Airlines - cargo only

Delta - Pets in cabin only, and exotic zoo animals in cargo only, NO PETS
They may have restrictions

I wouldn’t recommend taking a macaw in cabin, however due to its age and the time of year it being cold I would definitely consider it because the cargo holds are not heated.

I have received and shipped many birds who had behavioral issues that owners wanted to rehome simply because of the undesired behavior. I would take their bird into my home and correct the issue and send the bird back. I do this free of charge. They pay all airfare and I supply all the care. They go home corrected and on a healthy diet.

I just don’t want people to think I am a breeder of macaws. Because I said I have shipped many birds… I personally don’t think people should own them if they aren’t experience with macaws.

Last edited:

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Also, avoid American if it isn’t a direct flight. A bird got lost once at a transfer. It took them 2 days to get it to me.

if you do choose American make sure you have a heavy duty carrier. I prefer cat carriers modified by securing the top and bottom with bolts and nuts. Also make sure you provide fruits like grapes and oranges for hydration if you can figure a way to keep a water with steel nipple and ball to provide water. I say inside the cage because if it mounted outside the carrier is can break and you loose all the water.