1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue ekkies!

Discussion in 'Eclectus Alley' started by Coldbreeze, 11/8/18.

1. Coldbreeze

Coldbreeze Sprinting down the street

Alana
    So not that this is happening soon but if I DID want to add another bird to my flock I believe I'd want a ekkie. I've been doing research and seeing how much they go for around my area. Low 1k to over 2k. But some days I find the rare mutation of the blue ekkie (I've only seen females) that go for 20k-25k and I'm in such shock! I could rent myself a good apartment or get myself a car with that much money! Do people actually pay that much?

SandraK and faislaq like this.
  2. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Sprinting down the street

Tricia
    I can't imagine paying that much! But like the saying goes "something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it"! Little Zazu may have to win the lottery and then buy his own blue ekkie for a pet!

faislaq and Coldbreeze like this.
  3. Feather

Feather Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Jasmine
    The males are absolutely stunning, I think.
    [​IMG]

But that price tag. Holy cow. If I had that kind of money, I'd rather it go into spoiling a bird than purchasing one. :hilarious:

4. Coldbreeze

Alana

Holy cow. So friggin pretty. I've thought about dying my hair that color. Such a pretty teal!!

faislaq likes this.
  5. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Karen
    Do they look a bit photoshopped to anyone else? I'm curious if we have any members who have actually seen one or knows someone with one.
    upload_2018-11-8_21-21-43.jpeg

Sarahmoluccan and Shezbug like this.
  6. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Rollerblading along the road

Diane
    SandraK and faislaq like this.
  7. Feather

Feather Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Jasmine
    Nah, I don't think they're photoshopped at all. Blue eclectus parrot for sale

Sarahmoluccan, Shezbug and faislaq like this.
  8. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Karen
    Those pics look more believable to me. Maybe because of the different angles & situations? They don't look posed. :)

Shezbug likes this.
  9. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    They are a very rare recessive mutation, and yes, people do pay that much for them.

cassiesdad and faislaq like this.
  10. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sandra
    The ParrotStars store near me has a blue male and 2 or 3 blue females, absolutely gorgeous. $10k f/the male and $18k for a female. The females though are not the same vivid blue as the males, they're a darker slightly purplish and half gray.

That's a print - I know because I have it in the family room. The birds appear to be from left to right conures leading to macaws on the right. East Urban Home 'Rainbow Parrots' Graphic Art Print on Wrapped Canvas | Wayfair
    Supposedly based on a photo but the colours aren't natural. This is the "photo" version - Trademark Art 'Rainbow Parrots' Photographic Print on Wrapped Canvas | Wayfair

Yes, they're breathtaking!

Last edited: 11/9/18 at 7:46 AM
    CrazyBirdChick and faislaq like this.
  11. Fia Baby

Fia Baby Sprinting down the street

Beth
    I imagine that a lot of inbreeding has gone into producing these birds, and with that comes big health risks.

12. Dona

Dona Jogging around the block

Dona
    Wow! Gorgeous bird!

13. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sandra
    I goofed on my post, the male was $20K NOT $10K.

14. SandraK

Sandra
    This may answer part of your question - The Blue Eclectus | Bringas | AFA Watchbird

Fia Baby likes this.
  15. Coldbreeze

Alana
    So incest started all this. Inbreeding is never good. My first cat, all white was inbred and died at 3 years old. Wad sick his whole entire life. :(

Hankmacaw likes this.
  16. SandraK

Sandra
    Do we ever know our birds' breeding history exactly? I suppose that you could have siblings who have the same parents, the same mother OR the same father. The latter two could add a variance to the genes. I'm no geneticist but I'm thinking that if the siblings were bred w/other ekkies from different gene pools one might have blue ekkies though it would be hit-or-miss.

17. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    Agreed!

I'd hate to have one as a companion bird...a bird like that might be an obvious target of theft...considering their beauty...

SandraK likes this.
  18. aooratrix

aooratrix Macawaholic Super Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    As far as I know, they're a simple recessive, so breeding a blue to a normal would produce hets.

19. Dona

Dona Jogging around the block

Dona
    Milton just muttered "And what am I, chopped liver?"

cassiesdad and SandraK like this.
  20. SandraK

Sandra
    As I jokingly tell Fred - it costs more than some of the cars we've bought. ;)

cassiesdad likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)