• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bloody nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'm freaking out, no idea how this happened, does he need to go to the emergency vet or can he wait to be seen on Monday? He's acting completely normal right now
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349577808.915115.jpg

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Uh oh! I hope it's not an infection but that's kind of what it looks like. If he's acting just fine, I'd probably wait until morning to see your regular vet given his past health history. I'm not totally sure though. Poor Milo :sadhug2:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The first thing to never, never do is "freak out". Your bird depends on you and if you are freaking out you aren't of much help.

His wound does not look serious. Clean it up with plain water so you can see if the damage in more than just a bump.

Keep him warm and in a closed in box/carrier/cage tonight, see how he is in the morning and make your decision then.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Thanks guys, he's still doing well, and currently sleeping in the sleeve if my sweatshirt. It looks like there's some swelling around his nostril as well so I gave him a dose of metacam to help with the pain and inflammation. It was the unexpectedness of the blood that caught me off guard, he hasn't bumped into anything and there haven't been any spats, I would think that if Bartleby did do something that it wouldn't be that localized. But they are going to be separated at least until I get my little green man checked out.

Thank you guys again :hug:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope it's not related to the asper. :fingerscrossed:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
That's my thought as well :( I'm not sure what it did to his upper respiratory system, and we can't do bloodwork to determine if its truly gone. Just watching for symptoms :/ I'm hoping Dr. W will be able to tell me he just bumped his nose and leave it at that

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
it is possible he itched with his nail and accidentally scratched his nostril a little too hard... my tiels do stick their claws up their noses... i would not be surprised if thats a reason for this bloody nose.

fingers crossed all is well :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Hope Milo is ok today!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hope Milo is doing well and perhaps just picked his nose to hard.:hug8:

Parrotadise

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I hope he ok and was just picking his nose :D

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How is he this morning?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
He's doing really well! He woke up and was his fiery little self and even flew to his day cage from his smaller cage. The nostril in question looks like its completely scabbed over, but the swelling seems to have gone down overnight. I'm going to continue with the metacam at least until this evening to make sure that he's not in pain. We're going to make an appointment first thing Monday so that he can be seen just to make sure everything is alright. Bleeding of any kind worries me with him, especially him out of all the kiddos here because he's so tiny. I'm really grateful for the support here!

Status
Not open for further replies.