• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent bloated lovebird

Nicole Lopez

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Lopez
Female breeding lovebird is extemely bloated. Her "egg pouch" is extremely bloated and filled with liquid. At first we assumed she was pregnant but now that is obviously not the case. My theories are a false pregnancy or the egg cracked inside her. Please help

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
The vet can do an ultrasound and drain her if it is abdominal fluid. I have a cockatiel that had ovarian cysts filled with fluid and the vet saved her life. I had thought she was eggnant too and waited until it was almost too late.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
It sounds likes she is eggbound or the egg cracked inside of her..either way, she needs to see an avian vet asap..this is a life threatening situation!! Get her there without delay!!

Nicole Lopez

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Lopez
She is actually my friends bird so it is up to them to take her to the vet

CrystalLeo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christi
Ai, did you let your friend know about the opinions posted? I also vote to take her to the vet asap.

Nicole Lopez

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Lopez
I did notify her and we are almost 100% sure that it is an ovarian cyst

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I did notify her and we are almost 100% sure that it is an ovarian cyst
That can still be life threatening not to mention incredibly uncomfortable for the bird. A vet check is definitely warranted at this point :(

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
To the Vet ASAP

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
To the Vet ASAP

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If it truly is a cyst, it could put pressure on her spinal cord, her kidneys, her ureters, intestines, become infected and/or it could rupture. The outcome in all of these scenarios is not good. The bird needs to see a vet.

Nicole Lopez

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Lopez
I like how all of you assume medical attention is not being received. Theanimal hospital she currwntly uses only has an avian vet on friday, which is when her appointment is. So the point of this post was to find out the cause of the bloating so she could see if there was anything she could do for her bird between now and her appointment

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Sorry your friends love bird is not doing good. I would be beside myself with worry. Hoping all works out Friday. That's a long time to wait. Is there an emergency vet close by or perhaps in another town? Poor birdy she must be feeling bad.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Nicole, given the little information provided, the advice given was to seek immediate vet care. It appears unanimous that all of us posting on the board felt the bird requires urgent vet care.

Everyone assumes she is not receiving medical care because you did not state she is. You also stated that it is not your bird and it is up to your friend to take her to the vet. If she has an apt., surely a vet at the office, even a non-avian vet, can offer some advice in the meantime on what the cause might be, how urgent the situation is, etc. Without knowing more about the bird, other than it is "bloated," how could any of us offer anymore advice than she needs urgent vet care? Personally, if it were my bird, I would not wait till Friday. I would have had a general vet see her immediately, and follow-up with an avian vet. A vet doesnt need to be avian certified to assess whether the situation requires immediate attn., offer antibiotics, etc.

Nicole Lopez

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Lopez
This is a vet that she trusts so waiting until friday seems like a good iea to her. Plus ovarian cysts are life threatening when not treated but are slow growing and take a lot of time to cause any damage, from what ive been reading, and hers is fairly new and small. She would rather wait until friday to get a vet she knows and trusts when the condition isnt an immediate life or death thing than risk going to a new vet she has no experience with

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Just wanted to mention it's easter this Friday, I know my vet won't be open. I am not sure what country you're in, but you may want to mention that to your friend if it's relevant where you are.
I agree with the "go to the vet straight away" sentiment too.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
The issue is that you d
This is a vet that she trusts so waiting until friday seems like a good iea to her. Plus ovarian cysts are life threatening when not treated but are slow growing and take a lot of time to cause any damage, from what ive been reading, and hers is fairly new and small. She would rather wait until friday to get a vet she knows and trusts when the condition isnt an immediate life or death thing than risk going to a new vet she has no experience with
You can't know for sure what it is until a vet looks at her. Many times reproductive issues like these are an emergency situation, the reproductive tract sits near many vital things and even something as simple as swelling can cause an immense amount of discomfort for the bird and can sometimes obstruct other organs.

Last edited: