• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blind cockatiel

Leira

Sitting on the front steps
So today I went to the vet with my mother as I suspected my cockatiel was blind + more problems. We went, and it was true. He had many problems, like respiratory problems and more. We got the price for the treatment of everything, and it’s 521 CAD. I don’t know what to do, because since he’s apparently approximately 15-18 years old my parents refuse to pay for him. I’m a minor and I don’t have the money, I don’t know what to do! My heart hurts for him, I’ve already cried quite a bit. I’m planning on trying to pay some of it, (maybe 200ish CAD?) but how can I convince my parents to pay the rest?

Last edited by a moderator:

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
i am not sure, but a possible solution is to make a gofundme, or something of the sort.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Contact some bird rescues because they may help or even take the bird and do a birdie hospice. Where did you get him from?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm terribly sorry you're in this situation! It can be hard to tend to vet care when you're young and still on you parents' payroll.

As far as getting the funds, I'd try what @lillie suggested, and create some fundraisers on sites like GoFundMe and YouCaring, and try to spread the word about them through social media.

Have you looked into veterinary care assistance? I don't know whereabouts in Canada you are, but here in Calgary we have several programs for helping low income families with getting necessary treatment for pets in dire need. Try googling your area to see what's available.

But, in the event that you absolutely cannot get the money needed, you may have to go the route @Lady Jane mentioned, and surrender him to your local humane society or rescue. They can have him immediately treated by experienced veterinarians, and then find him a new and loving home. It's a very hard decision to face, but at least he would be saved.

Best wishes to you and to your sweet old 'tiel. I hope things work out!

Leira

Contact some bird rescues because they may help or even take the bird and do a birdie hospice. Where did you get him from?
We got him and another tiel from a friend of a friend. They didn’t want the birds anymore, so we took them in.

Leira

I'm terribly sorry you're in this situation! It can be hard to tend to vet care when you're young and still on you parents' payroll.

As far as getting the funds, I'd try what @lillie suggested, and create some fundraisers on sites like GoFundMe and YouCaring, and try to spread the word about them through social media.

Have you looked into veterinary care assistance? I don't know whereabouts in Canada you are, but here in Calgary we have several programs for helping low income families with getting necessary treatment for pets in dire need. Try googling your area to see what's available.

But, in the event that you absolutely cannot get the money needed, you may have to go the route @Lady Jane mentioned, and surrender him to your local humane society or rescue. They can have him immediately treated by experienced veterinarians, and then find him a new and loving home. It's a very hard decision to face, but at least he would be saved.

Best wishes to you and to your sweet old 'tiel. I hope things work out!
Thank you so much! I use social media to post some of my artwork as a hobby so I briefly mentioned on there I might be considereding taking commissions. I’ve already got two people willing to buy, so this raises my hopes a bit! The thing is we’re not really a low income family, my parents have good jobs. They just don’t think it’s worth it. I really hope it doesn’t come to it, but if nothing works out then I guess we’ll have to find him a new home.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Sorry to hear that you're in this situation! Could you maybe ask if they could pay for it that one time and then offer to pay them back afterwards if you can make the money? If you have a birthday close by you could ask if they could pay for some of it for your birthday present, and then you could pay for the rest? I don't know, but I hope things work out!! :sadhug2:

Leira

Sorry to hear that you're in this situation! Could you maybe ask if they could pay for it that one time and then offer to pay them back afterwards if you can make the money? If you have a birthday close by you could ask if they could pay for some of it for your birthday present, and then you could pay for the rest? I don't know, but I hope things work out!! :sadhug2:
Thank you for the support! I’m not sure if I can do that because I don’t think my parents trust me to pay it back, and actually I got the two tiels for my birthday haha. Thank you though!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Can they just treat the most serious problem for right now, like his respiratory issue?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you so much! I use social media to post some of my artwork as a hobby so I briefly mentioned on there I might be considereding taking commissions. I’ve already got two people willing to buy, so this raises my hopes a bit! The thing is we’re not really a low income family, my parents have good jobs. They just don’t think it’s worth it. I really hope it doesn’t come to it, but if nothing works out then I guess we’ll have to find him a new home.
Is there any chance you could work off the vet's bill at the clinic?

Leira

alright, I think I’ve got it sorted out! As I mentioned earlier I said I would try selling commissions with my illustrations and so far I’ve gotten $145. I’m already planning on using 200 from my bank account, and my parents don’t mind paying $100!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
alright, I think I’ve got it sorted out! As I mentioned earlier I said I would try selling commissions with my illustrations and so far I’ve gotten $145. I’m already planning on using 200 from my bank account, and my parents don’t mind paying $100!
That's wonderful!! I'm so glad that things are looking up. You've worked hard for your poor sick little boy; thank you so much for doing everything you can to help him.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So good to hear! Hope his Operation goes smooth. Glad you worked it out. :):hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We really appreciate feedback when someone joins AA with a bird related problem and we pitch in to help with solutions.

@Leira