• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bleeding from Vent area, 2 Females Trying to Mate?

anne0102

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
anne
My 3 year old female budgie laid 3 eggs a few months ago which caused her to bleed in-between laying & a trip to the vets. They just gave me a spray to gently apply to the area for a few days. The eggs were infertile as she has no male companion. I removed all nesting material to stop it happening again.

Now it's a few months later & suddenly today she is all bloody by her vent again, scratching at it with her feet seemingly irritated.

I checked for eggs but there are none.

I've kept a close watch on her & seen her companion who is a younger female almost 1 year old (was told she was a male when bought) she keeps trying to climb on top & mate with the older one!

What the heck!?!?

I stopped it but they kept repeating until I've finally separated them into different enclosures.

Do they need a male bird in with them to satisfy that mating urge?
What should I do?

I will bath the bloody vent with salt water to help for now but it's not actively bleeding, only when she scratches at it.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Please separate the birds and if there is bleeding again se avian vet.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Any vent bleeding is not good, is the blood bright red or brownish, even black. Red is lower gastrointestinal, black or brown is upper GI. You should call your vet, I know it's a holiday weekend, but, do try someone, the more she picks at the worse itll get. Hope shes ok.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
A bloody vent means something is very, very wrong. This bird needs to see a vet. Even if it's just bloody from being scratched, that still doesn't sit well with me and calls for a vet visit. Get to the vet soon. You might be able to find an Avian ER that is open for the weekend.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is she bleeding from the vent or is the area around the vent bleeding and irritated? Is she picking at her feathers and her skin in that area?
With either one you should bring her to the vet and if she is actually bleeding from the vent then get her to the vet quickly.

anne0102

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
anne
UPDATE
It's midnight here, I have just checked on her. The bleeding has stopped, I think from where she is standing on wire mesh on the side wall, she is unable to scratch at it there.

It looks like she has scratched away feathers because skin is easily visible.

There's now more watery poop than is normal for her, with a brighter green colour to it.

Last time the vet wasn't very helpful, she examined her & didn't think there were anymore eggs but she laid another the next day & just advised I apply an anti bacterial? Spray/wipe. I've used salt water myself tonight. Still as feisty as usual otherwise, must be a good sign.

Edit - the blood was bright red & then brown once on her feathers & feet.

I have ordered a bird wormer, it should be here tomorrow. Looking online it could be worms making her itchy.

Last edited:

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Have you considered that she could be egg bound? I think you should take her to the vet as soon as possible and make sure she is provided with cuttlebone and calcium supplement for this ongoing problem.

No, birds do not need a male bird to "satisfy" their urges. That may only make the hormonal behavior worse. Make sure you don't have any hideaways or anything that can be seen as a nesting site in the cage. Make sure you aren't petting your birds anywhere besides the head if they are hormonal. Some birds are just prone to this behavior than others from what I understand. Luckily I've never had this issue with either of my budgies, and they're a male and female pair...go figure!

Edit: Also, you can try moving things around in their cage and reducing their daylight hours to reduce hormone levels if you haven't tried that already.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
UPDATE
It's midnight here, I have just checked on her. The bleeding has stopped, I think from where she is standing on wire mesh on the side wall, she is unable to scratch at it there.

It looks like she has scratched away feathers because skin is easily visible.

There's now more watery poop than is normal for her, with a brighter green colour to it.

Last time the vet wasn't very helpful, she examined her & didn't think there were anymore eggs but she laid another the next day & just advised I apply an anti bacterial? Spray/wipe. I've used salt water myself tonight. Still as feisty as usual otherwise, must be a good sign.

Edit - the blood was bright red & then brown once on her feathers & feet.

I have ordered a bird wormer, it should be here tomorrow. Looking online it could be worms making her itchy.
Most pet birds DO NOT get worms. You need a avian vet to diagnose whether she has worms. This is something that you can't guess on. Please see a avian vet.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Most pet birds DO NOT get worms. You need a avian vet to diagnose whether she has worms. This is something that you can't guess on. Please see a avian vet.
Baylee had Ascaris galli. And no symptoms at all... Until the last time I took her to the vet and he told me.. Also it depends on what country the OP is...

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
In 30+ years of being owned by birds, I've had one parakeet that has had worms. The Turk lived outside for god only knows how long, he had worms, feather mites and host of other problems from being in great outdoors. He was a case of dynamite in small body. He was lucky to survive his adventure outside. He lived another 8months after he flew thru my deck door.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you dont trust the vet you took her to last time can you find another? Please do not medicate this bird yourself. Active bleeding is an emergency. She only has so much. Keep her hydrated. Vet visit may save her life.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
In 30+ years of being owned by birds, I've had one parakeet that has had worms. The Turk lived outside for god only knows how long, he had worms, feather mites and host of other problems from being in great outdoors. He was a case of dynamite in small body. He was lucky to survive his adventure outside. He lived another 8months after he flew thru my deck door.
In Baylee's case... she is an indoor bird but water in my country its contaminated we now boil water for 15 min. So if OP lives in a country like mine it can be parasites many pet birds in my country have parasites many owners here do not think their birds needs a vet check up. Only 6% of people with birds take them to an avian vet. Which is why we only have 1 or 2 avian vets cause many leave the country, they have more clients in USA or Europe than here...