• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black tips on flight feathers

Sggatsmit

Checking out the neighborhood
I’ve noticed that my GCC, Wembley, has some smooth black tipping on his flight feathers. He is about 18 months old and is finishing up a molt. Can anyone tell me if the black on his feathers is anything to worry about or if it is normal?

He eats mash each morning and is on zupreem pellets.

Attachments

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Black edges are usually nutrition-related. When was the last time he was at the AV?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If the feathers turn dark after a time it's wear and tear. Many feathers on parrots are actually black, but because of ridges on their feathers, they reflect the light in ways that our eyes interpret as colors. Over time, these ridges get rubbed or altered, and so the light no longer reflects in the same way, causing us to see the "real" color.

It's called bronzing.

The feathers you show seem normal and healthy to me.

Black bars on a Feather as they grow in are called stress bars and are caused by many factors, but nutrition is one of them. The feather didn't form properly and thus the feather structure is compromised. I don't see that here

Sggatsmit

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you so much, Mizzely and LSA. Wembley’s last AV visit was almost a year ago. The more I research, the more I think his feathers look pretty good, too, but Mizzely’s post and opinion definitely help to put my mind at ease.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I get to say it, again......
I learn something new everyday.

So, often in my world, "bronzing" means "sunburning" of non-red-peel produce.

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
Sunflower has a lot of bronzed feathers. She likes to roll over on her back and play with toys or wrestle. My husband says it gives her character.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
She likes to roll over on her back and play with toys or wrestle. My husband says it gives her character.
Something funny:
Daytona, Sunday, likes to wrestle big time. She rolls over onto her back and Sir Lancelot, GCC, jumps on her belly biting and fighting her. This happens daily!