• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black snake question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sierra

Walking the driveway
I found a black snake in my bird room this morning, but couldn't catch it. Do I need to worry about it hurting my birds?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
YES-I had a black snake get into My lovebirds nest box (years ago)it ate ALL the eggs and the Male Lovie:(It could NOT get out because it was SO full:mad:I was heartsick,SO YES be very concerned about it!:hug8:

purplekat61

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kat
The snake was most likely a bull snake...or a rat snake....not venomous....but they can be dangerous to your birds. Like Bonnie says...eggs and small birds beware. Ummm and if you didn't catch it....where is it??? lol I would not want a snake in my house.....they do more good outside! :rofl:

Last edited:

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
YES! Be very cautious! They have powder/granulates that you can buy at a home improvement store. You put it outside the perimeter of your house and it's supposed to keep them away.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Okay, you are talking to a person who dealt with a snake in the bird room! You must get rid of it. This is how I did it.
I made sure that all the birds were safely in their cages. I used glue traps. Make sure that you count and remember the number of traps and where you put them. You must put a line of traps across the doorway directly under the door when it is closed. After that put several around and behind the cages. Put a few in corners and across the bottom of any closet that is in the same room. The snake will slither over the traps and get caught. How you dispatch the snake after you catch it is up to you. I had to catch a Copper head. Very dangerous! I really hope you catch it. Have no idea what kind it is. Good Luck. When this is all over, remember to pick up each trap and put them safely away. The size of the traps depends upon the size of the snake. To sleep well tonight I would put a line of traps right across the bedroom door on the floor. This works great! Be careful when you catch the snake that you pick it up with a long handled tongs and put it in a bag and get it outside quick. How big is the snake???
K.

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If it is a rat or bull snake, please do not kill it and release it alive outdoors away from your house.

BiggBaddWolf

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lonnie
That is weird as they should be hibernating by now, unless he is staying nice and cozy somewhere in your house!!
How big is it? Here is what I would do. If there is a pet store nearby that sells frozen rodents, get one, thaw it out, and place it in a box, or some kind of container. the point being to attract the snake to the mouse, and then either close the snake in the box, or get the snake out of the house with a stick or something.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Here, black snakes are protected. Good luck.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,I hope your able to catch it and your birds are ok.

BiggBaddWolf

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lonnie
I also might add that if he is in your house he obviously has found a food source..ie: mice or rats. If you are having problems with rodents you might see if you can get rid of them, the food source goes away and he will go away.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
If you have mice, snakes will follow. The traps will catch the mice too. To my experience, in your home there is no other way to catch a snake. Not pleasant but has to be done. Let us know how it goes. Another thing that is the end of the line for the snake but works it plaster eggs. You might contact a feed store and see if they have small plaster eggs. Put them anywhere except in the birds cage. On the floor will do. Yes, they do kill the snake eventually and no it is not pleasant. Being from the country, I learned to take care of things like this early in life. Yes, I know that the right thing to do is to release the snake. They are fast moving and even small rat snakes will bite you which is kinda scary. If you are sure it is a rat snake or other non poisonous snake, then try to catch it right behind the head with your hand. I've done this. They will wrap around your arm nicely giving you time to walk outside and unwrap the little fella.
Katherine

Last edited:

BiggBaddWolf

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lonnie
Snake hooks work good, but not everyone has one lying around just in case a snake ends up in their house...:lol:

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Find a long stick if you can with a little fork at the end. May be easy to do if you are near a forest. Place this right behind the head of the snake and then pick the snake up placing your thumb for forefinger right behind the stick. Hold on! don't let him twist his body since you aren't sure what he is and don't want a bite. I keep a stick like this downstairs, does me a lot of good downstairs!

Robin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin

BiggBaddWolf

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lonnie
NEVER EVER pick a snake up by the head unless you know it is non venemous, unless properly trained in handling snakes venemous snakes can still twist their top jaw around and drive a fang into your hand!!!!!!!!

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Please don't use glue traps.. They will injure and kill snakes. Try to capture the snake as humanely as possible and then release it. I hope you find him soon. Good luck.

sierra

Walking the driveway
Thank you all for your suggestions and concern! I totally freaked out and moved all the birds into my living room, which now looks like a pet store!!! To clarify....the birds were in a "game room" built directly above our detached garage. It is a very nice furnished room. They were all in there because we are in the middle of painting and remodeling our home and we didn't want the fumes to hurt the birds.
I have lived in the woods for 30 years, and I am very familiar with the wildlife and the problems associated with living in "their" territory. This was DEFINITELY a black snake, approx 20" in length. I know they are not venomous, but they do bite when provoked. I have noticed a few mouse droppings in that room.
Now...to get rid of it. I haven't seen it again. I have a feeling that it got in through the bathroom, where the water line comes in from the garage below. Hopefully it got scared and went back down into the garage. We have re-sealed all the openings with caulk. We also placed a new thing under the door to seal it tighter. I have literally torn that room apart, and can't find the snake, but the birds are out, so if he shows up we can deal with catching him. I have once caught a snake inside by placing a large salad bowl over it, and then sliding cardboard under the bowl. Then I could pick it up and take it outside without being bit.
I will let you know if he shows up again. While the glue trap suggestion has merit, I would prefer to catch him and set him free. They are "good" snakes, and they definitely help keep the rodent population under control.
In the meantime, all of the birds are doing quite well in the living room where I know they are safe!

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Good ideas, glad for the update. :) Whenever we had black snakes in the outdoor aviaries at the wild bird clinic we had to removed them ASAP. Luckily most of the birds were smart enough to stay away. The one snake usually comes back every year, so we have to constantly check the area for any possible ways for snakes to get in. Once a snake went into a Bald eagle flight cage and she killed it....

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
My exterminator told me another thing about black snakes{I have two who stay in my yard} is if you have them, it means you don't have venomous snakes. The black snakes are fearful of them, so they won't live in the same area.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is really interesting Carole! I learn so much here!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.