• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

black headed conure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
I haven't done an internet search but I saw one today being boarded at my bird store. He is lovely but not very friendly. The owner is wishing to rehome him and I'm considering it. I'm thinking I could bring him out of his anger-ball self, but I don't know. Right now he is getting good care but I think has been given up on.

Anyone have any personal experience with one? (I'm not even sure I have the name right, after searching I'll come back if I'm off)

later...it is a black capped conure; should have researched before posting.

Last edited:

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
I found out it is a black capped conure.

You are right though, the nanday is often referred to as black headed or black crowned.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I have a black-capped conure!

She's a real sweety, but can put off a tough exterior. She will let you know when she does not want to be bothered and makes it very clear via beak banging and quick nips. The best way we found to interact with her is just to open her door and let her find us. Then she'll happily sit on your knee or head for hours. She really does not like to play when she's out, just sit there and take it all in. Some days she LOVES scritches, some days she'll take your finger off if you try it.

I would let the faby come out on his own, and then eat around him (something bird safe obviously). Petey cannot resist the site of food near her and will come in seconds to investigate no matter what type of mood she's in. She's the biggest piggy out of all my lil ones.

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
I see him in your signature, so gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have a cockatoo so don't really need the cuddly affections (but always a nice bonus). This poor little guy is just difficult and the owner has a new baby quaker so is not interested in him anymore. Pretty sure I'll get a resounding no from DH but I'm going to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.