• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

black feathers

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBirdLady1983

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Pickle
My Pionus has this exact thing and shes been tested for everything under the sun and we have come to the conclusion ( My Avian Vet) that it is because she hasn't had her full blown molt yet and these black tipped feathers are indeed her old feathers. How old is your baby because it could be just a late molt?

Off Topic------Fuzzy your Blue head is very beautiful!:heart:

Last edited:

Sabene

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah Benedict
Jade is (or was when I got her) about 6 years old. She has not lost a single feather the entire time I have had her (since late September) except three from a fall when she tried to fly off our balcony into the living room and landed wrong but those have grown back in. I would assume she is due for a molt any time now but also read somewhere that not-molting is a common problem in captive parrots?

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Kobe and Ollie lose most feathers from early summer through to the end of autumn and occasional feathers (big and small) in the other seasons. When they are babies they tend to renew most if not all the feathers in a year. As they grow older it might take 2 - 3 years to replace every feather.

Off topic - thanks Pickle! Your WC is gorgeous too. :heart:

Setsimba

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vik
I just wanted to state that even in the 3 season room, If the light comes through glass it filters the necessary rays needed... so you might have to put netting up or use a bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.