• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bizarre Chatter

santacruzjack

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jack
So Ollie's been doing this unusual chatter for as long as we've had her, but every day she does it a bit more regularly. I've yet to be able to get a video of it, she always stops when I start recording, but it's NOTHING like what we've heard from her before.

It's not normal cockatiel chirping, it's not baby noises, it's just sometimes when she's at rest and not doing anything she'll start making these adorable chittering and chattering noises, and talking to herself a lot! Is this normal for girl cockatiels?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think you might have a boy on your hands! I love those adorable little cockatiel noises. Twilight used to do those starting at about 7 months old, and it was so cute. He would chatter to his toys, especially the yellow ones. (His favorite color!). Eventually some of the noises turned into short phrases, such as Hello Twilight and Good morning to you!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sounds like Ollie is exploring some new found vocal abilities. A lot of birds will "try out" their voices on themselves, and sound like they're having a conversation with themselves. Our tiels tried out the phrase "EAT A PIG" on each other- saying it to one another, then the other repeating the phrase, until they went nuts with the phrase...:rolleyes:

santacruzjack

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jack
Every day she shows a couple signs that she might be a boy, so I suppose I'll just add this to the list. We won't know for sure until her first molt, but at least she's not pied and we WILL be able to tell!

santacruzjack

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jack
I just now got it on video and as I'm writing this she (He???) is being even louder!!!! And saying so much more than she's ever said before!!!!!

Do you guys think we have a boy on our hands???

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I just now got it on video and as I'm writing this she (He???) is being even louder!!!! And saying so much more than she's ever said before!!!!!

Do you guys think we have a boy on our hands???
We hear those kinds of vocalizations every day here...from the tiels, who are all definitely boys. :)
Sunshine just flew in here to the computer room and is responding in like language to Ollie....very cute.

Didn't our dear Anne have a girl tiel (Princess Mitch) that sung and chortled like a boy tiel?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your bouncing bubbly baby birdie boy!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Ollie's such a cutie!:heart2:

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Pikachu does the same thing! Makes chattering noises- but not for as long as Ollie did in the video.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Ollie's "squeaks, chitter and chatters" are adorable...but different than what I am used to from my male tiels...even when they were very young...I am not convinced that Ollie may be a boy...

How old is Ollie? Do you see any more white developing in his/her face? I got my female tiel, (whiteface) Lily from a pet store that was closing when she was only about 3 1/2 months old...Her face was very light in color...I thought for sure - she was a male...and would fit in with my flock at home of 3 male tiels...I knew within a couple more weeks that she was a female...

Does Ollie display any other male tiel behaviors? Beak banging, heart wings? My males all walk with their wings slightly spread out at times...also hop...

santacruzjack

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jack
Ollie's "squeaks, chitter and chatters" are adorable...but different than what I am used to from my male tiels...even when they were very young...I am not convinced that Ollie may be a boy...

How old is Ollie? Do you see any more white developing in his/her face? I got my female tiel, (whiteface) Lily from a pet store that was closing when she was only about 3 1/2 months old...Her face was very light in color...I thought for sure - she was a male...and would fit in with my flock at home of 3 male tiels...I knew within a couple more weeks that she was a female...

Does Ollie display any other male tiel behaviors? Beak banging, heart wings? My males all walk with their wings slightly spread out at times...also hop...
We're gonna have a way to go before we know for sure if he's a boy, and I know exactly how he should look after his first molt if he's a boy since he's a whiteface, that being said....

Lately he's been doing it quite a bit more and, while not beak banging, he has been doing heart wings during his chatter sessions sometimes. I think we really won't be 100% certain until January at least

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I don't know. Bella used to chirp like that when she was a baby and so did my first tiel (who was a girl) but they both got quieter as they grew older. Now the Princess only chirps to let me know how she feels. She has an angry chirp, a whiny chirp, a happy chirp, a flock calling chirp, and the all important SCRITCH ME NOW chirp.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
My first teil, Tia chirped and beeped, squawked and shrieked! We were told she was a he and then one day "he" laid an egg LOL! My second teil, Sam was definitely a boy and the difference was he could (and constantly did) sing. He learned a little five note song and would sing it at the top of his lungs! I really miss his little serenades.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Bebe make strange little squeaky dog toy noises after I put him to bed at night. even when the lights are low and the house is quiet. he almost sounds like he imitating a hamster wheel. part of the reason I don't have hamsters any more, that noise gets to me.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Bebe make strange little squeaky dog toy noises
Sam made these noises (like a breathy squeaky toy) while bobbing and rubbing against his food dish. Being new to male birds, I asked my vet who told me Sam was "self-stimulating" due to hormones and the fact that he did not have a lady partner. o_O