• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting eclectus

Tiefenthaler

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Linda Tiefenthaler
My boyfriend's female eclectus is totally bonded to him but, apparently hates me. She has bitten me several times. Gouged chunks of flesh out.. I realize that some serious behaviour modification is needed. Some for her and most likely for me. I've been doing some reading about biting. One little piece of info that I keep running into is not to react when the Bird bites you. No yelling, screaming or pulling your hand back. So exactly to you keep from yelling or pulling your hand back when the Bird has taken a chunk out of your finger?

Wendy27

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
This bird is giving you a pretty clear message - right now she wants you to back off - I would respect that message - and move VERY slowly forward - with just a lot of time spent hanging out near her cage - talking to her - eating in front of her - singing - if you like to sing.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
When the bird bites (because you have pushed to far or not read warnings) then you grin and bear it while it bites. Once it lets go you go clean yourself up and swear under your breath or as loud as needed. Making noise does not lessen the pain but it does give the bird an instant reward, pulling away can make your bite worse or possibly even hurt/ damage the bird.
A few weeks ago I stupidly put myself in a situation where I got the whole tip of my finger bitten, I could do nothing but wait for the bird to let go. I have no feeling in my finger tip as the nerve has been cut, if I had of pulled away the bird would have been seriously injured and my finger tip would possibly have ended up missing all together.
So by the sounds of things you can either start up a battle of wits with the bird and fight over this man or learn how to be in the same area as both of them safely and comfortably by learning some bird language and behaviors. Maybe your boyfriend could allow you to be the one who gives the bird all the nice things while you are there, treats, toys, out of cage time.....you know what I mean?

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
There is no reason that your boyfriend's bird can't be socialized to like you as well. Is she clicker trained and target stick trained? Try using the power pause method.

Wendy27

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Bird Mandan - what is the power pause method?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Reactions: Jas