• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting Birdy

BirdyLove

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Milly
Hello everyone!

My name is Milly, and I am new to Avian Avenue. I had an account before but now I am back. I need help fellow bird experts.
I own a cockatiel. He goes by the name of Lucky and we are uncertain of his age. We found him about two years ago, very badly pecked on his head. He was quite traumatized and still shows signs of discomfort and as if he doesn't trust us (after 2 years) by biting us and screaming when we try to pick him up. We are very gentle and he loves to chirp and sing, but he just won't let us get close to him.
Another problem, which isn't too severe, is that when we have managed to handle him, as we are walking away from the cage, he will begin to feel insecure (I presume) and fly back.
Please if you can suggest and advice as to what I can do to make him feel any more comfortable with us, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Milly and Lucky xoxo

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 10.46.08 am.png Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 10.45.38 am.png

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Lucky is a little cutie. Will he come out of his cage on his own? You can try putting a perch just outside of his door and hang a favorite toy or treat (maybe millet spray?) by it to start enticing him to come out and hang out. And then just spend time sitting with him and talking to him, etc. Some birds never like to be handled but just keep going slow and taking things at his pace.

BirdyLove

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Milly
Lucky is a little cutie. Will he come out of his cage on his own? You can try putting a perch just outside of his door and hang a favorite toy or treat (maybe millet spray?) by it to start enticing him to come out and hang out. And then just spend time sitting with him and talking to him, etc. Some birds never like to be handled but just keep going slow and taking things at his pace.
Thank you. He doesn't tend to come out on his own but I will definitely try that!

Banana Budgie

Moving in
Real Name
Meghan Dietz
Look at my first post!! My Ranger is a bitey, squawkey monster. He's cute when he doesn't try to attack you... He does come out by himself but he can't fly very well. When he attempts to fly back to his cage he sometimes crashes into things.