• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bite

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have two cockatiels one hand tamed and the other one is not hand tamed. I noticed my hand tamed cockatiel bites really hard and make my finger bleed where my other non tamed cockatiel bite very gentle. Why my hand tamed cockatiel bite harder than my non tamed cockatiel?

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I can't offer advice on why one of your tiel's may bite harder, although, try to pay attention to what you do leading up to a bite with your tiel's. Are they acting scared, or nervous?

You have to learn to read your birds body language to know when you're passing a comfort zone, and after you pass that zone you'll usually end up with a bite. You have to
respect their boundaries, that's how you build trust.
You can also offer high-value treats (seed, millet spray etc.) to help them associate your hands with good things and be more calm around your hands.

Go slow and remember to be calm and patient.
Good luck! :)

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Most likely because the hand tamed bird has had to learn to become a better biter out of necessity ( evil humans. More specifically evil hands)

Some people can run like the wind. Some people can't run worth crap. :D

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My hand tamed cockatiel only bites hard when he is annoyed or angry but my non tamed bites gentle when it's annoyed or angry