• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds and how much bird toys they destroy?

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Pooka (LSC2) can go through a $40 toy in a day. He's my worst. He recently broke his acrylic foraging bell shaped thingie, which is what we put his pellets in, and he's been bored and screechy. I just had to order a couple of acrylic foragers to keep him busy. This is in addition to the daily foraging toy which has pine nuts, pistachios, almonds and foot toys. Also in addition to the 2 wooden hanging toys that I have to switch out frequently. At least 2 times a week he gets a brand new set of blocks to chew up on a macaw-sized skewer or large fun ring. The most 'used' toy in his cage gets hung on top for him to finish off when we're home and he's on the loose. Yesterday he spent most of the day in Kirby's cage wrecking HIS toys.

Zuni loves coconut husks, which make him sneeze and spends his days making confetti out of board books and other cardboardy items. He also loves leather. I'm telling you, if that bird were a young man he'd be wearing leather and eye make up and be out huffing spray paint or something equally dangerous with his juvenile delinquent friends. Kirby plays with everything - wood, cardboard, etc. I have to watch him because he splinters 'forever' toys. I bought one of those huge bamboo tubes that was supposed to last forever - you fill it with shreddies and treats. He turned it into shards. :arghh: At least he's forgotten the joys of pulling bars off the ss cage. Chico & Rocky go through phases. I always worry that they aren't active enough in their cages, but they like to chew wood when they're out of the cage. Rocky likes things that make noise. He gets really obnoxious with the bell, so I made him a toy that rattles instead of ringing.

Sophia prefers shreddable stuff, cardboard being her favorite. She chews everything into tiny pieces. It takes her forever to go through most toys.

We've definitely had to make our own toys. I could easily spend $300/$400 a MONTH if I bought pre-made toys. Jim drills wood, I salvage very box and bottle that can be turned into a safe toy, re-use parts and collect hundred of pine cones every year.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
Pooka (LSC2) can go through a $40 toy in a day. He's my worst. He recently broke his acrylic foraging bell shaped thingie, which is what we put his pellets in, and he's been bored and screechy. I just had to order a couple of acrylic foragers to keep him busy. This is in addition to the daily foraging toy which has pine nuts, pistachios, almonds and foot toys.

We've definitely had to make our own toys. I could easily spend $300/$400 a MONTH if I bought pre-made toys. Jim drills wood, I salvage very box and bottle that can be turned into a safe toy, re-use parts and collect hundred of pine cones every year.
from where are you ordering these acrylic foraging toys???
you must get soo much satisfication from him chewing soo much. a busy beak is a happy beak :)

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I just ordered some from MySafeBirdStore.com

FORAGING TOYS

Two foraging toys for Pooka, and a harder one for Sophia. Plus some leather and birdie bagels for Zuni. And some herbal stuff for Zuni, who is picking again. :depressed: Everyone has a huge new chewy toy in their cage within the past 3 days. Love skewers and fun rings - they make my life SO much easier!

Latency

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ashley
Gale is the newest.. but she goes through toys faster than my other 3 combined!!! She's got two huge chunks chewed out of her seagrass mat (about half of it is in shreds) and she loves to chew pine/balsa/basswood/corkbark. I don't think she has a favorite, I think she just likes everything. I recently got her a little plastic foraging cup that has an acrylic flower as a type of "lid" but silly me got one that was too small and her head won't fit in it :( so she just bangs it around and makes a ruckus and eventually turns it up-side-down to get the goodies. I will be getting her a more appropriate sized one shortly. :)

Heather F

Gale is the newest.. but she goes through toys faster than my other 3 combined!!! She's got two huge chunks chewed out of her seagrass mat (about half of it is in shreds) and she loves to chew pine/balsa/basswood/corkbark. I don't think she has a favorite, I think she just likes everything. I recently got her a little plastic foraging cup that has an acrylic flower as a type of "lid" but silly me got one that was too small and her head won't fit in it :( so she just bangs it around and makes a ruckus and eventually turns it up-side-down to get the goodies. I will be getting her a more appropriate sized one shortly. :)
Haha, that's pretty much how Frodo plays with foraging toys too. He doesn't mind trying to get the goodies out of them if they are simple, but mostly he just grabs them and wrestles with them and makes them rattle, and that seems to be good enough for him. :laugh:

SamatranTiger

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Kody only destroys boxes and balsa if the balsa is in the vicinity of his boxes!
Joey on the other hand does mass destruction on his toys and perches!! I typically give him a refilled skewer everyday so that he has something new to work on while he finishes destroying his other toys. :)

With that being said, I was surprised by how little Kody destroys but not surprised by how much Joey destroys as I was informed prior to adopting him that he was a feathered chainsaw! :laugh:

How often am I obligated to replenish their resources, you ask? Lets just say I live a little too close to the Wingdom (aka. T4W) and get stuff weekly so I'm always stocked up! :D

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kody only destroys boxes and balsa if the balsa is in the vicinity of his boxes!
Joey on the other hand does mass destruction on his toys and perches!! I typically give him a refilled skewer everyday so that he has something new to work on while he finishes destroying his other toys. :)

With that being said, I was surprised by how little Kody destroys but not surprised by how much Joey destroys as I was informed prior to adopting him that he was a feathered chainsaw! :laugh:

How often am I obligated to replenish their resources, you ask? Lets just say I live a little too close to the Wingdom (aka. T4W) and get stuff weekly so I'm always stocked up! :D

Admit it! :laugh: Don't you love a bird who behaves like a buzzsaw!? Love Joey photos! :xflove:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Wow, I'm glad I have a tiel. She loves shredders and has ADD so they last longer. I need to get a picture of her standing on one shredder while alternately chewing on that shredder and three other hanging shredders one at a time. I buy the big ones so they last longer. I haven't had to replace one yet but some are starting to get close so my toy budget is a lot less than yours.