• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdman's Baby Parrots in IL?

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
Hi, guys. So on my hunt for a lovie or a conure, I found this bird breeder.
BIRDMAN'S BABY PARROTS | Northbrook, IL 60062
They're located a good distance from me and I was wondering if any of you have interacted with this breeder and can tell me about them. Reputable? Mean? Weird?
If you don't know anything about this breeder, tips on what to ask and watch out for during a phone call with them to make sure they're not shady are greaty appreciated. Thanks!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I believe Birdman's Exotics had a store downtown Chicago which has since closed. I'd also want to say that they were @ the RM fair but can't swear to it. Looked and sounded clean and reputable, however, in this day and age having a store that is dedicated specifically to birds (good quality, well cared for and high end) unfortunately would restrict the market alot.

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
he/they have only five star reviews on birdbreeders.com so those people had good experiences with this place

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
he/they have only five star reviews on birdbreeders.com so those people had good experiences with this place

Is he a preferred member at bird breeders?

Preferred members can choose to only show five star ratings. ;)

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
oh i dont know if he is i didn't know about the preferred member thing on birdbreeders

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Are you looking for a baby now? I thought you wanted an older bird? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

I'm wondering if, maybe, you should take a breath and think about what it is you really want. I just read in another thread that you really want a sennie but are settling for a lovie or conure and I thought I had read that you wanted to adopt an older bird so that you had one that doesn't live 30 years but now you're looking at breeders. I don't think taking whatever you can get or settling is the right mindset to have when getting a bird. Not trying to be mean or anything, I just feel like you should take some time to rethink this. :)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Never "settle" for a bird :) You're still very young, lots of time left to find the perfect fit :)

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
Are you looking for a baby now? I thought you wanted an older bird? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

I'm wondering if, maybe, you should take a breath and think about what it is you really want. I just read in another thread that you really want a sennie but are settling for a lovie or conure and I thought I had read that you wanted to adopt an older bird so that you had one that doesn't live 30 years but now you're looking at breeders. I don't think taking whatever you can get or settling is the right mindset to have when getting a bird. Not trying to be mean or anything, I just feel like you should take some time to rethink this. :)
Yeah, and this breeder has lovies available. I'm not looking at his conures—I have a budget on the adoption fee, anyway, and so I wouldn't be buying his conures, but baby lovies are an option because lovies have a lifespan of like 10-15 years. :) A Sennie just isn't available in my area (not one that's close enough for my mom, anyway—we're looking at an hour's drive, tops), and lovies and conures were already on my list of options anyway, so that's why I'm willing to adopt one of those. Conures I would be adopting as an adult for sure, but lovies, because they have much shorter lifespans, I would want to adopt younger.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yeah, and this breeder has lovies available. I'm not looking at his conures—I have a budget on the adoption fee, anyway, and so I wouldn't be buying his conures, but baby lovies are an option because lovies have a lifespan of like 10-15 years. :) A Sennie just isn't available in my area (not one that's close enough for my mom, anyway—we're looking at an hour's drive, tops), and lovies and conures were already on my list of options anyway, so that's why I'm willing to adopt one of those. Conures I would be adopting as an adult for sure, but lovies, because they have much shorter lifespans, I would want to adopt younger.
With exceptional care, they can live up to 20 years -sometimes more. I just want you to be sure about what you're getting into. Even 10 years would be a long time to have to commit yourself to if it's not the pet you truly wanted.

You don't want a budgie? Some of my new baby budgie's handfed siblings are almost ready to go and need homes. You have experience with them already and a handfed one will be much easier to tame than store bought one -and they are only $60 and probably within an hour of you if the GCCBC was near you. Just a thought...

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
With exceptional care, they can live up to 20 years -sometimes more. I just want you to be sure about what you're getting into. Even 10 years would be a long time to have to commit yourself to if it's not the pet you truly wanted.

You don't want a budgie? Some of my new baby budgie's handfed siblings are almost ready to go and need homes. You have experience with them already and a handfed one will be much easier to tame than store bought one -and they are only $60 and probably within an hour of you if the GCCBC was near you. Just a thought...
I'm not afraid of putting 20 years of work into a bird—some cats and dogs are lucky enough to live just about for that long (my grandmother has a poodle that's around 20 years old), and to me, committing to lovebird ownership is like committing to dog/cat ownership in the lifespan aspect. The person that's afraid of committing for many years to a bird is my mom (because what if something happens and she has to take care of the bird? She doesn't want to wind up caring for a bird into her old age.), but I believe that if I can bond with the bird, I will have no problem taking care of a parrot for all those years.
The reason I'm searching for a different kind of bird is that I want something different and a bit bigger. Conures are definitely larger, and I think lovies are bigger, too, but I don't really have much evidence to go off of there, so I'm not entirely sure about that, but I at least know for sure that lovebirds are a different experience. Budgies are not entirely out of the question, but because conures and lovies aren't uncommon finds here, I don't think that I will end up adopting another budgie. I also usually see budgies selling for $20. How come your baby budgies are going for $60? Is it because they are hand-fed?
Anyway, because the bond is important to me, I am searching for a bird that is already used to people and won't require three extra months of work to get the bird to like me, so store-bought birdies are definitely out. So I know I want a bird ready to be my companion.

Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very rare for lovies to live more than 20 years.

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa

Ooooohhhhh! I adore hand fed budgies!!!! I have 2 siblings from different clutches who adore us humans just as much!!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So did you decide on this route, or are you going to look around a bit more? :) I'm surprised he doesn't have peachies! I'm used to them being more common, even while being difficult to locate at times. I've never come across any other type of lovie in my area. His lovies are very pretty.

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
So did you decide on this route, or are you going to look around a bit more? :) I'm surprised he doesn't have peachies! I'm used to them being more common, even while being difficult to locate at times. I've never come across any other type of lovie in my area. His lovies are very pretty.
No, I have not made a final decision yet. I'm going to be doing a lot of visits to a lot of places to find the bird that I am best for. Or maybe the bird that is best for me, but perhaps it is, in fact, more like the latter. I have many options open to me right now, but I have time to really take a good look at all of them, and I will take that time to make the best possible decision.

Alice Church

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, guys. So on my hunt for a lovie or a conure, I found this bird breeder.
BIRDMAN'S BABY PARROTS | Northbrook, IL 60062
They're located a good distance from me and I was wondering if any of you have interacted with this breeder and can tell me about them. Reputable? Mean? Weird?
If you don't know anything about this breeder, tips on what to ask and watch out for during a phone call with them to make sure they're not shady are greaty appreciated. Thanks!

Alice Church

Checking out the neighborhood
I got my African grey from Eli. He is the sweetest bird. He has never bit me and talks up a storm. Eli obviously interacts with his birds and is always available to answer your questions. I am waiting for my baby cockatoo to grow up a little and I should be able to bring him/her home this December. You couldn’t find a better person to get a companion bird from. I highly recommend him.