• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdless in Seattle

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Aww thanks so much @Just-passn-thru !

Alright, I've read more in the Caique Cul De Sac and now I've scared myself out of wanting one :nervous:LOL!

there so many variables, nothing is written in stone...no matter what species you read about their is a dark side. it depends on the background of the bird, family's dynamics,

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do research, meet as many birds as possible, and fall in love. Then, do more research to see if you can accommodate the cage, toys, vet visits, and potential tendencies of that species. If you're still comfortable, go for it. I find the term "starter bird" to be offensive, and it can foment the wrong mindset, IMO. I think you're on the right track. Welcome!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I, like @aooratrix get very offended at the term "Beginner Bird". All parrots are special and all parrots are individuals. My "Beginner Bird" was an 18 year old male, wild caught GW that had been abused for 10 years. He was a holy handful and meaner than a snake, but we made it through the tough spots and we became the very best buddies. He died in 2012 and I am still devastated.

My girl bird, 23 year old female GW, is and always has been as different as night is to day from Hank. She is gentle, loves to be near me, has never bitten me hard enough to bring blood. I can do anything with/to her and she just whines and snivels about it. She's a dream bird.

I recommend that you get the bird you really want, or that falls in love with you. You seem sensible and it will all work out - with lots of work and patience.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Mousebirds are so cute :) I had never heard of them before I saw waterfaller1's Gryphon. Such sweet little things!! I'm surprised by how well they take to being handled and pet.

@Hankmacaw Thanks so much for sharing your story with me :) It's really great to hear how you and your male GW came to have a good relationship and how your female had a completely different personality! I really am hoping that birdy love happens for me, when I know there will be no question about what the right thing to do!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I never thought I would have a smaller bird until I met a Linnie and then it was all over. The same is true about Amazons! After my first one came home I was in love with them. That's where rescues really come into the picture as a helpful tool. I think most of them will let you visit with an appointment and they are always looking for volunteers if you have a little bit of time on your hands.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I also have a bonded pair of Australian grass parakeets, Chipper & Violet.
They a generally sold in pairs. Their voice is melodic. Very sweet little things. Males are very colorful when molted in adult feathers.

20170401_095121.jpg
20170401_094733.jpg 20170401_095134.jpg 20170401_094647.jpg

Last edited:

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Oh Linnies are so freakin' cute I can hardly stand it! I saw a few pairs at a bird show I went to. It was so hard not to take them home! Grass parakeets are gorgeous as well :D I love the voices of the smaller parrots.

Are they very interactive? I've read a bit about smaller parrots not liking hands. I'd really love somebirdy that was interactive and liked toys.

Attachments

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Welcome! As a home to both macaws and budgies I can tell you they are all individuals. My little budgie is extremely tame. My three year old holds him and gives kisses and he loves it. He finger trained in about two weeks and has been a cuddle bug ever since. He eats from her hand and watches TV on the couch in her lap happily chirping. He also loves new toys (especially avian stainless toys that rattle). My other two budgies are sweet, but don't like hands near. So just depends on the small bird in regard to how interactive they are.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Oh Linnies are so freakin' cute I can hardly stand it! I saw a few pairs at a bird show I went to. It was so hard not to take them home! Grass parakeets are gorgeous as well :D I love the voices of the smaller parrots.

Are they very interactive? I've read a bit about smaller parrots not liking hands. I'd really love somebirdy that was interactive and liked toys.
Some of the smaller birds are VERY interactive. A tame and confident budgie or parrotlet playing with toys is insane!!

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
That's probably a stupid question, I'm sure they must!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Actually two of my tiels like to play with toys, but the other two not so much. They don't usually act as clownish as some of the other parrots, and are generally more laid back. They are so sweet though, and relatively even tempered. They are usually not very loud, tend to not be one person birds, and are not nippy. They truly are such wonderful little companions!

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Yeah my guys aren't too crazy about toys, but with some gentle encouragement and the right moon phase (lol) they do like to have a bit of fun. Last night Miles was enjoying throwing foot toys off the bed. Again it's kinda like a balance - tiels might not be the most clownish or playful, but they also are pretty laid back and easy to please. That's why they work so well for me, personally.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
I didn't remember my cockatiel being too into toys except for a little bell, but then I didn't know much about providing enrichment for my gal. I really wish I had it to do over.
Thanks to you both for answering what I thought might be a silly question :) Throwing toys off a bed sounds fun to me!

Part of my "trauma" that's making me want a bird that is playful and enjoys toys is because of my dogs. After all our years together the only thing they will "play" with are foraging toys. They would play fetch if a. there were treats involved and b. they didn't have to put the item in their mouth!So it had to be something with some fuzz, like a small stuffed toy, so they could grab it by the fuzz between their teeth haha! I really wouldn't have cared except that it was/is really hard to combat boredom. I need to get over it.

I really need to remember that trade-off point, thanks Ry. Having a sweet companion that doesn't end up making my life miserable is more important than toys or anything like that.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i know this is a parrot forum but i have a question about your dogs have they ever had their teeth cleaned you can answer in ball park sub forum part other then feathers speedway

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Will do Cynthia!