• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdie Baby Diary!

aidan16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aidan
Hi yall! Sorry for the upcoming rambles, I'm a first time bird owner with my baby caique Na'ringa! I have so many thoughts and feelings with and about this new lifetime experience, and I wanted a place to kind of catalogue my daily life with her, just to vocalize it, and who knows, maybe get some advice!

Even so, it's been so comforting having this place of knowledge and kinship to reference, you all have had your own wonderful experiences with your feathered friends, and it warms my heart to read about yall and your babies!

Every day with Na'ringa has been fun, loving and rewarding, I'll pick up her poop everywhere forever, getting to know her, and see her experience new things and become comfortable and spunky and silly has honestly greatly improved my own quality of life, I'm taking better care of myself in the way I care for her as well, it has honestly been a dream come true!

And despite all of this fun and love, life is not a sitcom! Her and I have grown frustrated of each other at times, two entirely different species of animals being in close contact can do that. I have been keeping my frustration at a cool level where I can think objectively, Na'ringa however is a baby, who doesnt speak my language, and I'm only just beginning to understand her body language and what it means.

She and I have a good, stable schedule on my workdays, we both know what to expect; wake up in the morning, weigh in, prepare breakfast, put on kids show/movie for her, sit together and eat, and then go to work. Get home, snuggle, shower, preen time, prepare dinner, eating, more snuggles, and then bed. She loves these days! All stable, she gets to have fun, get snuggles, all that!

We have been busy most of my days off, either grocery shopping, having family come over, Thanksgiving, cleaning, etc. Today was my first proper, uninterrupted day off, which was new to her! Got her up, weighed, snuggled, fed, and while she was eating I started to play video games! Her interest was piqued- what is this headset and controller? Did her little ‘want something dance', and went to nibble on my controller.

I properly redirected, and took several breaks in the few hours I was playing to play and snuggle and preen with her, along with just time to chill together. Eventually though, she became irritated even as I was playing with her, and exhibited the first signs of being actually upset with me, sharp chittering and test bites.

This frustrated me, which frustrated her. She is still learning to play, and find her boundaries. She was irritated because of the video game, because I didn't allow her to climb Leia's kennel, because I redirected her from chewing on wires and the controller. I grew frustrated enough I was going to put her in her cage, when I paused.

Her cage is supposed to be a safe, fun place. As much as I wanted a break from her crankiness, I didnt want her to correlate my frustration to cage time. So I took a deep breath, sat down with her, and shared a nutriberry with her. It did not taste great, but she was more willing to calm down and eat if she saw me doing it. So in a weird, cathartic way, we ate birdseed together.

It was enough of a bonding distraction that she calmed down a good bit, as did I. I then put some millet in her cage for her to eat, giving both her and I a break. I never thought eating birdseed would be the best way to calm down, but I am proud of myself to find that way to even out our emotions for the both of us. I'm in no way perfect and have a lot to learn, but that was my victory for today!

I trained my service dog, Leia. There were many moments of frustration with her and from her back when her and I were learning eachother all those years ago, and now we are so close, even though life changes and little hiccups. I am hoping the same will be said for Na'ringa and I. Again, sorry for the long post, I just find it cathartic to put these thoughts somewhere! Now I'm off to bed, for our routine to start again!

20231126_095439.jpg

Trent84

Strolling the yard
They're invasive and clingy, aren't they
But they're so much fun as well.
I've had similar experiences with mine, but eventually I know he's just a baby and he needs to have something to do, possibly sticking to my face or hands. Also, exactly like yours, he wants to play with everything he's not allowed to play with -cables, phones, laptops and so on.
I always have some spare toys to distract him with when I need to mind my own business for..well, at least 2 solid minutes.
Great that you have experience with your dog, so you know how to deal with frustration!
I also try to keep the cage as a good place and not for times off. With my routine, I find that have him eating only on the cage (with few exceptions, such as people coming over or fruit breaks we share on the kitchen table) is the best option, so he knows that's the place where he eats, sleep and stay safe and he doesn't mind to get in.
That said, it took 20 minutes to write this message because I'm having the little demon around :wacky:
Good luck with your cutie! It sounds like you're doing a great job!

aidan16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aidan
They're invasive and clingy, aren't they
But they're so much fun as well.
I've had similar experiences with mine, but eventually I know he's just a baby and he needs to have something to do, possibly sticking to my face or hands. Also, exactly like yours, he wants to play with everything he's not allowed to play with -cables, phones, laptops and so on.
I always have some spare toys to distract him with when I need to mind my own business for..well, at least 2 solid minutes.
Great that you have experience with your dog, so you know how to deal with frustration!
I also try to keep the cage as a good place and not for times off. With my routine, I find that have him eating only on the cage (with few exceptions, such as people coming over or fruit breaks we share on the kitchen table) is the best option, so he knows that's the place where he eats, sleep and stay safe and he doesn't mind to get in.
That said, it took 20 minutes to write this message because I'm having the little demon around :wacky:
Good luck with your cutie! It sounds like you're doing a great job!
It's been so comforting reading your posts and experiences as a fellow caique parent! Na'ringa is such a rowdy lady, especially now that she is becoming more comfortable around me. A few times yesterday when she got particularly frustrated, she flew away from me and plopped herself onto the carpet.

This was an entirely new reaction for her, and it had me a little disarmed. I've become used to and comfortable with her sticking to me like glue, I can admit the idea of her roaming around the apartment looking for trouble makes me nervous! She explored the vacuum, but is particularly interested in Leia's kennel. It is wire, she climbs wire all the time!

I had to redirect her several times, and thanked the heavens that Leia, who was in the kennel, only seemed slightly interested in observing her. I scooped Na'ringa up off the carpet and cage to the couch, which earned me some rageful chitters.

I tend to follow the same idea, almost all of Na'ringa's snack time or food in general is in her cage, where she happily eats. It's easier to clean, given that she loves dropping her food everywhere and I'd rather not become a millet carpet other than on the rare occasion, lol.

Really the only other times she eats outside of her cage are the rare snacks on my shoulder, like the nutriberry, or on the kitchen counter snacking while I prepare her breakfast or dinner.

The way we've been doing it is having her cage in my room at night, and I cart it out to the living room during the day, so even if she is eating or playing we're in the same general vicinity. She is fine with this, unless it's a full day off, where she fully intends to be out any moment she likes! I mostly oblige, but give her food breaks so Leia can have some time out too, I've been going slow in their introduction, but they are still rarely out at the same time, for their safety and my peace of mind.

Shes overall been very agreeable, it's just those few moments of genuine frustration that have been throwing me for a loop! I'm just trying to adjust and assure myself that it isn't all the time, because it really isn't, it's just hard to navigate how to handle it in the moment! I'm definitely not perfect, and did give her a snack break or two in her cage despite her "want out" dances, but its overall been going well!

Trent84

Strolling the yard
I think nobody is :wacky:
I also think that stressing out too much for the parrot will soon lead frustration, which they notice! Not healthy for neither of you. We're adjusting to their needs, so must they.
I also feel so guilty to leave him in the cage till my lunch break, as I work from home and I just can't with him around. He has toys and a few snack/cuddle breaks so the morning goes on fine.
Reading everything I could on caique, I know they're temperamental and they don't accept a no for answer.. so I can definitely feel you. And I know that what is now just chitters and test bites will be real bites - I'm waiting for the "obliteration" to happen, and I'm fine with it.
What I'm trying to do is setting boundaries. I say "slow" whenever he plays hard or he gets frustrated, and place him somewhere else (still close to me, but not ON me). My boyfriend and friends says that I'm paranoid, but this is something I'll keep sticking to. He understands and we start playing again like nothing happened -bit with him being much gentler.

Your dog sounds like a dream and he probably understands that the parrot is now a member of the family..but you're doing the right thing by keeping an eye on both of them. More on the parrot than the dog, I'd say!!:D
I'm so happy too to read your experience as a new caique owner! In Italy we say "shared issue, half blessing" and it applies so well in this case!

aidan16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aidan
I think nobody is :wacky:
I also think that stressing out too much for the parrot will soon lead frustration, which they notice! Not healthy for neither of you. We're adjusting to their needs, so must they.
I also feel so guilty to leave him in the cage till my lunch break, as I work from home and I just can't with him around. He has toys and a few snack/cuddle breaks so the morning goes on fine.
Reading everything I could on caique, I know they're temperamental and they don't accept a no for answer.. so I can definitely feel you. And I know that what is now just chitters and test bites will be real bites - I'm waiting for the "obliteration" to happen, and I'm fine with it.
What I'm trying to do is setting boundaries. I say "slow" whenever he plays hard or he gets frustrated, and place him somewhere else (still close to me, but not ON me). My boyfriend and friends says that I'm paranoid, but this is something I'll keep sticking to. He understands and we start playing again like nothing happened -bit with him being much gentler.

Your dog sounds like a dream and he probably understands that the parrot is now a member of the family..but you're doing the right thing by keeping an eye on both of them. More on the parrot than the dog, I'd say!!:D
I'm so happy too to read your experience as a new caique owner! In Italy we say "shared issue, half blessing" and it applies so well in this case!
I definitely need to learn to set more boundaries with her... I had a particularly stressful day at work today along with a scary uber drive home, so I was very much a pushover with her today.

The first hour and a half was nice and engaging, she was snuggling and singing and playing with her toys. Then she and I got our dinner breaks and by the time she was all done, she was even more excitable and wanted to preen and nibble at my face. I usually set boundaries, but let her nibble at my nose and lips simply because I didnt have the energy to deny her.

I know that this was bad of me and that I'll have to pay with her expectations and crankiness of it later, I was just so exhausted I allowed the baby to do as she pleased. I've been being mistreated at work and my time with her in the evening usually winds me down but now I just feel guilty for allowing her display undesirable behaviors.

Like you said, ups and downs, and I do need to learn to assert boundaries with her more strictly, today just happened to be a disappointing off day for me.

Hopefully tomorrow will be more structured and productive for the both of us, for now I'm just resting and trying not to beat myself up for today, though it was a perfectly enjoyable day for her and she is happily snoozing. She is keen to my emotions already, so I agree that there has to be a line for both of us to be healthy and happy!

Time to try and relax and go again tomorrow! :'-)

Trent84

Strolling the yard
Oh this is new to me. I let him nibbling and preening my neck (not face and nose) as a sort of pre-bed ritual, also as the only moment when he's quiet and cuddly :roflmao: is this not good?
You're doing amazing and I can feel you do everything with her in mind.
Keep us updated with the progresses!
I'm telling this to you and myself too, I think we tend to be super anxious with them, and they can definitely feel it. But they also know we're family.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I allow my birds to preen me! I see nothing wrong with that, they are showing their love to me .

Phoebe plucks my cheek fuzz , quick , lol, my cheek fuzz so offends her ! Thst is a tad annoying, but no harm done

Sorry you had a rough day. Hopefully tomorrow is much better

aidan16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aidan
I let her preen my cheeks and face, I read that allowing them to nibble on the nose and lips though can be dangerous if they get fussy, she just really enjoys it! xD I was gone later than usual today because of a job interview, and she is suprising me every day with new noises: the cutest one is she mimics my kiss noises now!!

I let her have an Avicake on my lap today and she was very happy with that, and preened and played a lot, she definitely helped me relax today, except for when we walked into the bathroom (as we do many times) and she flew to the mirror! Scared the crap outta me but she was find and singing like nothing happened lol.

I've hit a kind or depressive patch but am taking the right steps to fix it like taking my meds and self care, gonna trudge through tomorrow happily bc it's our day off Thursday! I have therapy and her first vet appointment, I'm nervous for her, hopefully it's all good news!

It's good to know preening is okay, I just want to do the right thing and want sure if nibbling my lips was an appropriate behavior or not, but her licking at my face is so darn funny! xD So overall a stressful but good day, I cant wait till Thursday so I can spend more time with her during the day, I miss her terribly every day at work!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Oh I definitely don't let lips, those are to easy to nip , and no wanna share human cooties.

My nose... Pikachu accidentally stuck her beak in my nose , and I laughed...so that became something she decided was way fun and took a while to get her to stop!

First vet appointment are always a nervous thing for me with new ones. But you have every reason to believe you have a happy healthy little baby! So great to get established with your avain veterinarian!!! Good luck , hope all goes smoothly and happy.

Stick some stickers , or those window clings in mirror! They have a bunch of holidays ones at my dollar store and the like!

It is so hard to leave them sbd go to work! I have a friend ;) who has pet spy cams on her flock ! I'm calling you out @Parutti :)

Hope Thursday is fabulous

Trent84

Strolling the yard
I don't let lips either, and I warn him when he goes for my ears, but I allow him anywhere else as I know it's a cute thing he does so why should I stop him. It's a little annoying from time to time when hes on my neck, but it's cute, and very very delicate so far.
The vet check will be fine, I notice vets are always surprised by the confidence and vitality of caiques :D
Hope you're doing better today!

aidan16

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aidan
Need to catch this diary up a bit!!! Work has been a lot, plus a variety of stressors, lol. Luckily, Na'ringa's vet appointment was perfect! Her heart and lungs sounded great, diet and enrichment is good, etc. I honestly felt very relieved that my vet told me I was doing everything right by her, they loved her there! Then she got a little nail trim at the bird store, and visited her siblings (her visits to them consist of hello!!! ok move over, I want to get the unlimited seed bowl! xD)

Her life at home has been fun! She is coming out of her shell more and more every day! She bunny hops on the floor and rolls on her back, she's energetic and so full of life, though there is still plenty of mischief to be had! She knows I dont like her on my head, and it's become a game to climb up and then be removed. I find it difficult to enforce physical boundaries since she will just test them over and over and over, but I have been able to redirect her as well!

Her and I's shower escapades are a trip, she'll sit with a foot tucked on the perch and sing and sing and sing, and even properly bathe while sitting on my hand, yet seems absolutely traumatized every time I towel dry her after, I feel so bad! xD

We've gotten much better at managing free time, balancing 100% attention and play to just spending time together with her foraging or playing, though when I'm home I'm usually with her the entire evening, we play and watch tv! My biggest concern, which might be overthinking, is a new behavior for her, shes been wiggling her butt a lot before she poops, she usually does a little tail wag while she poops but it's been more rubbing her butt on the floor before she does, is this a hormonal behavior? She only does it in the foraging box so I'm unsure!

Overall it's been great, written by a very tired birdie mama!!<33