• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Safe Ways to Prevent Mosquitoes in the House?

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Hi everyone!
My boyfriend, conure, and I moved into a new apartment a couple of months ago, and we notice that we find the occasional mosquito flying around in our apartment! We want to take precautions because they have already bitten me, and we just want to make sure that they don't go for our birdie! Are there any bird safe precautions that we can use for the outside of our front door, patio door, etc. that would prevent mosquitoes from entering?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
screens

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Trust me. If a mosquito gets any where near your bird it's dead meat. The only place a skeeter can bite a bird is close to the eye (what do you think the chances of that happening are in the light?) The feet are too scaly. There is no other exposed skin. Landing on feathers does nothing.

But nobody likes mosquitoes and you do want to keep them out. You can get screening/netting many places.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Trust me. If a mosquito gets any where near your bird it's dead meat. The only place a skeeter can bite a bird is close to the eye (what do you think the chances of that happening are in the light?) The feet are too scaly. There is no other exposed skin. Landing on feathers does nothing.

But nobody likes mosquitoes and you do want to keep them out. You can get screening/netting many places.
Phew! Oh that's good to know! I wasn't sure how it worked with birdies and mosquitoes! As such I want them to stop biting me, lol so I'll look into some screening for our apartment front door! Thank you for commenting! You have put my mind at ease! :)

feathergirl

Walking the driveway
Screens are fabulous, you can also set pots of plants that mosquitoes don't like up around the door. Citronella, Lavender, Peppermint, Catsnip, Lemon grass, Lemon balm, Basil, and Marigold are some for you to choose from.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Are you sure about this John? I know that in Florida people who keep their birds outdoors have to worry about their birds contracting West Nile virus from mosquitoes.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Are you sure about this John? I know that in Florida people who keep their birds outdoors have to worry about their birds contracting West Nile virus from mosquitoes.
Outdoors definitely. If there are that many mosquitos "inside" an apartment it's not just the birds that will need worrying about. :)

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
This is all such appreciated input!!! We live in Southern California and we haven't had a problem with mosquitoes until we just moved to a more forest-y area. He is an indoor birdy that I will take outside on a sunny day and gets constant outdoor supervision. We have seen 3 mosquitoes so far in our home, however it could very well just be the same mosquito! Its probably nothing I should be worried about, I just tend to get paranoid. I will definitely purchase some of those plants listed above for the outside of my doors and look into some sort of screen for my front apartment door. I also might just purchase a little mosquito net to put over his cage at night just in case, since I seem to only find them at nighttime in my apartment, thought it might not even be necessary! :wacky: