• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird safe wall paint & art supplies?

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
We wanna paint the soon-to-be bird room, I've got a few questions:

1: Would regular ole' lime paint be safe? Or should I look up companies that sell 0 VOC paints? Not sure exactly what it's referred to as in English so I can't look up safety concerns.

2: I also wanted to paint a mural - would water-based Acrylic paints be safe for that? Looking up their safety yields mixed results.

3: Building off of #2, would Acrylics be safe with the birds present? Basically I'm asking if life painting is an option or if I'm stuck with reference photos.

4: An alternative to murals I've found nothing about - printed wallpaper stickers. Anyone know anything about those?

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm wanting to paint a room also. I'll be watching this thread.

I know @Macawnutz posted a website a while back that we could order paints from.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the site, @Macawnutz ! I've seen these in the articles about safe paint. Though sadly this store doesn't seem to ship to my country :(

We could try shipping to nearby and having a friend send it over for us, but knowing my parents this is probably not gonna happen... Unless we can find the paints here of course. I'll look into it.

I was only concerned with the birds' presence with acrylic paints, not for walls but for drawing on a smaller canvas. I would remove them if we were painting an entire room, goodness knows they'd be making a ruckus even if the danger of paint fumes wasn't enough to convince me..

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Would paints up to a VOC 30g/l be alright? I'm looking up low and 0 VOC paints here and that was the lowest I could find so far.

Also ''lime paint'' is literally just water + CaC03. Anything on that?

EDIT: Just found a paint company claiming to have <1 g/l, which is interesting to say the least. It's Baumit Divina. I've never seen anything less than 10g/l so I'm a bit suspicious... Any thoughts?

Last edited: