1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird safe wall paint & art supplies?

Discussion in 'Safety Avenue' started by greenytijana, 3/12/18.

1. greenytijana

greenytijana Walking the driveway

Tiana
    We wanna paint the soon-to-be bird room, I've got a few questions:

1: Would regular ole' lime paint be safe? Or should I look up companies that sell 0 VOC paints? Not sure exactly what it's referred to as in English so I can't look up safety concerns.

2: I also wanted to paint a mural - would water-based Acrylic paints be safe for that? Looking up their safety yields mixed results.

3: Building off of #2, would Acrylics be safe with the birds present? Basically I'm asking if life painting is an option or if I'm stuck with reference photos.

4: An alternative to murals I've found nothing about - printed wallpaper stickers. Anyone know anything about those?

Last edited: 3/12/18
  2. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

I'm wanting to paint a room also. I'll be watching this thread.

I know @Macawnutz posted a website a while back that we could order paints from.

3. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
  4. greenytijana

Tiana
    Thanks for the site, @Macawnutz ! I've seen these in the articles about safe paint. Though sadly this store doesn't seem to ship to my country :(

We could try shipping to nearby and having a friend send it over for us, but knowing my parents this is probably not gonna happen... Unless we can find the paints here of course. I'll look into it.

I was only concerned with the birds' presence with acrylic paints, not for walls but for drawing on a smaller canvas. I would remove them if we were painting an entire room, goodness knows they'd be making a ruckus even if the danger of paint fumes wasn't enough to convince me..

5. greenytijana

Tiana
    Would paints up to a VOC 30g/l be alright? I'm looking up low and 0 VOC paints here and that was the lowest I could find so far.

Also ''lime paint'' is literally just water + CaC03. Anything on that?

EDIT: Just found a paint company claiming to have <1 g/l, which is interesting to say the least. It's Baumit Divina. I've never seen anything less than 10g/l so I'm a bit suspicious... Any thoughts?

Last edited: 3/13/18
  6. BatmansWife

BatmansWife Meeting neighbors

I have used this in our main living area it’s zero VOCs Harmony® Interior Acrylic Latex Paint - Sherwin-Williams it helps reduce VOCs from other sources too. When we paint we always remove the bird from the house and give it a few days but no issues. We are painting a nursery now with the same paint.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)