• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird safe paint *for cement*

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know about low VOC and zero VOC paints. However, I am not sure if the same wall paint can be used on a cement floor and cement walls.

I have used Sherman Williams Harmony paint in the past.

Does anyone have any experience and/or knowledge about painting on cement?

Thanks.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
no, it will not be very durable for wear, plus it also eventually peels because the concrete sucks the water out too fast and it doesn't dry right.
I don't know about what is available in Home Depot, Lowes for low-voc concrete paint, but this is a source I always look at for safe brands to see if such things exist.
Green Building Supply, Non Toxic Supplies, Environmentally Friendly Materials

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@JLcribber

Do you know if there is a bird safe paint for cement or concrete? I called Sherman Williams, but the guy was pretty clueless.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@JLcribber

Do you know if there is a bird safe paint for cement or concrete? I called Sherman Williams, but the guy was pretty clueless.

There are only certain paints that will work on concrete and actually last so you have to use what's recommended.

This is a situation where the bird has to leave the area for the duration of the process. That would mean a minimum of 48 hours after painting the floor with powered ventilation to allow a full cure. Re-evaluate after 48 hours.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If it's an old concrete floor with staining it may also need to be acid washed before painting for the coating to adhere properly.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
the link I sent does have some AFM Safecoat which is zero voc and for concrete. I would suggest calling and talking to them. They were helpful to me on a project.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The work is being done in the basement. The birds are currently on the second floor, in my office. They will stay there for the duration of the work.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's an old concrete floor with staining it may also need to be acid washed before painting for the coating to adhere properly.

The floor was painted green by the previous owner, then carpet was put over that - by the same person, I assume. But I really don’t know. The carpet had to be pulled out after the flooded basement.

Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it.