• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird proofing a bedroom "completely"

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I'd like for Dexter to be able to be out and about when I am not home (I have family, but no one would be directly watching him) for 2-3 hours a day (allowing 4-5 with me at home during weekdays, he gets the whole day on weekends). To do this, I need to bird proof his room. Here's the issue: I rent. I cannot remove things, renovate, etc. That also means that Dexter cannot "renovate" either. Is there a way to protect doorways, moulding, etc. In a way that is removable? I was thinking wire mesh. (Non zinc coated of course) any advice is appreciated. I figured I could do pvc pipe for cords, etc.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well to completely bird proof a room from a large bird that is determined to chew on things might be impossible but I hear they make clear plastic corner cover for wall protection and there are all kinds of things you can try to protect and keep the floor and things clean like clear vinyl office chair runners and like that and thick blankets. @JLcribber can probably suggest some good ideas as he has two Cacatoos that he has a birdroom for but he owns his house. I'm sure others will jump in with more good ideas too.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I agree with Terry. Those are Some Nice ideas. You might need something to cover electrical things too when you’re away. Good luck!

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
You mentioned that Dexter has his own room. It might help if you post some pictures here; I feel like the experienced members here always spot something in photos that I tend to completely miss. Also, depending on the space, you may want to buy/construct and indoor aviary for him to protect the walls and such, but basically make it so that the whole room is that aviary... if that makes sense?

I rent and apartment, and in order to protect the floor beneath my tiel's cage, I use a long vinyl mat that I got at Home Depot. No need to fasten it down or anything - just lay it on top of the floor like a rug. It is also SO easy to clean! And they come in different colors/patterns too - I chose a stone-gray tiled look. It has easily been one of the best things I've bought in order to protect my rental. I had a few scrap pieces too, so I've put it under their play stands too. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what others suggest as well.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well since you rent the only thing you can really do is get a room sized aviary and put it in the room. There is no such thing as a completely bird proof room where cockatoos are concerned. It is a constant work in progress. You don't really know what they are going to chew on until they do. Then you bird proof it.

To truly bird proof a room you need to replace all the window/door/baseboard trim with "lumber". Plexiglass corners and places they can get to and chew like the ends of rope highways. Put up lumber shelving in places where they would chew something so they chew the shelves instead.

Or you can let him destroy the room and just fix it later. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Think of a room sized aviary as a high quality long term "investment" in Dexter's future. In can be taken down and put back up anywhere, anytime in a matter of hours. Dexter will always have his consistent familiar environment which is awfully important to a parrot's well being. You'll never need to buy another cage.

Think of it as your first house.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
When I had both Ferd and Nerd bird Maxi Pionuses together they loved to chew the door edge and the closet opening edge they could reach by their cage. I tried to leave my door out of their reach and kept wood repair putty and matching stain on hand when the chomps got bad and redid the areas a lot. As for the drywall corner I think my step sister when she took over the house just painted over the chomps without trying to fill them in and it wasn't that noticeable.
Some birds just only destroy favorite spots, some destroy anything crunchy they can reach and like John says, you come home and suddenly find a chewed up area they never touched before.
Dobby discovered how tasty the corner of the wall in the laundry nook is because he likes to sit on the curtain rod and curtain we put up to hide the machines. We need one of those clear corner protector things for it and that should slow him down.
My other Maxis always just chewed favorite places so it was easy to figure out ways to protect them. Dobby always has to find new things to chomp so we close doors and cover things and like that. Funny thing is he has a nice string of wood spindles and rounds to chew and he's only completely destroyed it once and now he hardly touches it.

LesBirdman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leslie Wessling
dunno about bird proofing, I turn my back for two minutes and my 'tiels have eaten half the blinds haha, I have resigned myselfto the fact I will need to replace the damaged ones when I move out. I am just happy they only eat the blinds and not more permanent fixtures in the house.