• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Play Area for Christmas

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I have wanted a bird room for a while now. It just sounds so nice to be able to have a whole room dedicated to the birds and their play area. However, I'm unable to have a whole room for the birds, as I don't even have a whole room to myself. But I still want my birds to have plenty of space to play. For Chrismas (only 2 weeks away, yay!), I am thinking of just asking for some money to get things for the birds. I cannot think of anything else I want, and this would be the perfect time to get the things I've wanted to get for them.

The first thing I want is to be able to get the materials needed to create a hanging atom toy/swing. I'll need to get the flexible PVC pipe stuff, some cross fittings, stainless steel eye screws, and I'll need a PVC pipe cutter. But before I do this, I need to make sure that I'll be allowed to hang stuff from the ceiling and even on the walls.

I would also like to have a boing or two hanging from the ceiling.

The thing I'm most interested in doing is a large climbing wall. I have plenty of wall space, so I would love to take several seagrass mats and nail them into the wall (with stainless steel nails, of course). I found a 24" by 12" seagrass mat here: MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com - Seagrass Mat

The only problem is, it's out of stock right now. But anyways, I'd like to take maybe 4 of them and nail them in the wall. That way I can make a 48" tall by 24" climbing wall. I could hang some toys on there, too. My only concern is the birds' toes getting caught. Is that something to be worried about? Of course, I'll always supervise them while on this wall, but even so, I don't want to deal with caught toes.

The last thing I'd like to do is make my birds a small sized PVC play stand. Not anything too big, as they'll have the climbing wall and things hanging from the ceiling, but something to give them even more room to play. I'll wrap the perches in vet wrap and maybe some areas in Bird safe supreme cotton, purchased directly from a bird toy part store.

One thing I was considering getting was a large Get a Grip Net to hang from the ceiling. They look very well made and I know my birds would have a blast on them. Very good job to the people who made them. But I think I've decided to wait on that net for a while. I'll already be adding that large climbing wall, and a $60 climbing net will take up a lot of Christmas money. Not to mention, I imagine the nets are rather heavy so I would have to find a good way to keep the net attached to the ceiling, and it'd just mean more holes in the ceiling. I will consider adding one to my home in the future, but right now, I think I'm good.

I think most, if not all the stuff I listed above is very doable this Christmas. My parents usually don't spend A TON of money on Christmas presents but they spend well over $100. I'm very grateful for what they do for us over this holiday. I think I'll have plenty of money to do the atom and the climbing wall and boings and maybe the play stand, depending on how much that'll cost. And if I don't, no big deal, I'll spend some of my own money on it. If I find myself with some money left, I'll definitely use that to get some natural bird perches and toy making parts. I could use some bird safe rope, like supreme cotton.

Meanwhile, I still have to come up with ideas for my siblings. My sister keeps asking what I want, as she'll be getting me something (we all get our brother and sisters something for Christmas each year). When I told her I'll be happy enough if she gets me stuff for the birds, she refused. I guess she wants to get me something I'll enjoy, and not something for the birds (when I'll enjoy watching the birds have fun with their new play area and toys). I'm sure my brother will also refuse to get something for the birds as my present. He doesn't like the birds much at all (He says they make too much noise. He's nearly the only one who still complains about it anymore. Everyone else has learned to tune it out. Heck, I can do all my virtual school work with all their squawking going on!). I'm sure my older, married sister wouldn't care if I asked her for stuff for the birds. She's a big animal lover like me, and is even a vet tech. She'd understand.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips, ideas, suggestions, or help on creating the best play area for the birds? Or could you just post a picture of your own play area or play gym to just give me some more ideas?

Skittles and Nico say "Squawk!" which basically means "hello!" :)

Last edited:

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
One thing that you can do to minimize the holes you will be putting in the ceiling and walls is to put up something that you can hang your toys from rather than a hole for each toy. For instance in the ceiling you could put two eye screws spaced several feet apart and hang a rope or pvc pipe from one eye screw to the other and the toys could be attached to the rope or pipe using zip ties. On the wall, maybe put some stainless steel eye screws into a length of board like a 1x2 or 1x3 putting an eye screw on one end so that it could be hung from the wall. This would mean one hole in the wall to hold a board that you could attach a lot of toys to. Two boards would allow you to spread out the toys side by side more. You wouldn't necessarily have to use a board anything long and bird friendly could be used including just a piece of thick rope that you could tie the toys to. The point is that if you can find a way to minimize the holes, your parents might be more inclined to let you do this. Another thing you could do is build a vertical stand maybe out of pvc that you could put up against the wall to hang your toys from. This might give you an idea of what I mean (excuse the background this is in my basement right now). You could make the top area much longer and put some holes in the vertical poles, then thread some sisal, rope, or leather through those holes to hang toys from. The good thing about pvc is you can customize it to fit your needs.
pvc.jpg

lyx

Sprinting down the street
Like the suggestions above, another idea instead of drilling holes in your ceiling (if you're not allowed) is using you know those clothes rack things you can hang your clothes off but instead use it to hang toys off? Might be cheaper than buying PVC but I have no idea about prices on that lol.

One of these:
8752714_R_Z001.jpg
I saw on pinterest someone had use vet wrap etc and hung loads of boings/atoms and such off of it.

5b5af7a3e3f04e8ea4ba8c2245945842.jpg
I also found this on Pinterest, they have lots of ideas on there for homemade/DIY stuff :)

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
You can ask @calibird if she has any large seagrass mats. I didn't see any on the website right now but I got a huge one from her.
The largest one I carry is 23.5" x 13.5". I used to carry larger sizes however my supplier no longer carries them.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I like the idea of putting a chain/rope beteren two hooks on the ceiling! I have that right now and iT Works really well. You could also hang a big branch from Those hooks if you like!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
@calibird, I'm thinking if I do the climbing wall I'll purchase 4 of the 23.5" by 13.5" you sell. Just curious, though, what is the size of the square holes in the seagrass mat and should I be worried about bird toes getting caught in it? Thanks!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
@calibird, I'm thinking if I do the climbing wall I'll purchase 4 of the 23.5" by 13.5" you sell. Just curious, though, what is the size of the square holes in the seagrass mat and should I be worried about bird toes getting caught in it? Thanks!
The square holes vary between 3/8" and 5/8" (about a 1/2") so they are a decent size hole. I haven't had any reports of toes getting stuck on this forum or any of the other forums I belong to.

Charity921

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charity
I had one of those hanging racks out in my garage, so I used that for my first play stand, with vet wrap and toys, and a wicker basket from Walmart. This past weekend, I finally finished my first PVC play area. Both of these were relatively inexpensive to make, and I just added toys that I already had. The PVC stand holds the boing well, and it provides another way for my non-flying (yet) caique to get up and down.

IMG_4620.JPG IMG_4677.JPG

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
The square holes vary between 3/8" and 5/8" (about a 1/2") so they are a decent size hole. I haven't had any reports of toes getting stuck on this forum or any of the other forums I belong to.
Thanks! That's perfect! I'll always supervise them when on it, just to be safe, anyway. Love the website and all the stuff you sell, by the way!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I had one of those hanging racks out in my garage, so I used that for my first play stand, with vet wrap and toys, and a wicker basket from Walmart. This past weekend, I finally finished my first PVC play area. Both of these were relatively inexpensive to make, and I just added toys that I already had. The PVC stand holds the boing well, and it provides another way for my non-flying (yet) caique to get up and down.

View attachment 263051 View attachment 263052
Great playstands! Thanks for the ideas! Also, adorable birds and Bearded Dragon (I see him in the background!).