• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird mash...need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vega

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Joni
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to make a new batch of birdie mash and I want to change it up a bit...but I'm drawing a blank.

I use sweet potato as the base, so that's a must.

Normally my mash consists of:
corn - from frozen
green beans - from frozen
peas - from frozen
cauliflower
broccoli
beans from bean soup mix
chopped walnut & almonds
red,green,orange peppers
brown rice
whole wheat pasta

I'd like to change it a bit because I've been feeding this same mix for a couple years now. But I'm at a loss as to what to take out and what to add in. I've noticed she's not eating much of the peppers or beans anymore, but I thought the beans were important and wasn't sure if I could eliminate those.

I did try last spring/summer to make a veggie chop (without the mashed sweet potatoes) and she wouldn't even touch it. For 3 months. So that mashed part is a must.

This will be frozen, so I need veggies that I can pat dry or don't carry excess fluid.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Why does it matter whether or not you use "wet" fruits and veggies. My guys are really finicky and won't eat frozen, so I chop every few days to a week depending on how much I make. I tend to buy what's in season but lately it's been berries of any kind that I can get a hold of that were either grown in the US or are organic. Squash of any kind, sometimes multiple flavors. I just got some green beans that came in from Florida, so that was a treat. Mango, pomegranate when it's in season, papaya if I can get it, kiwi, they love kiwi. Bell peppers as well as hot peppers. Greens of any kind, collard, kale, dandelion, endive, arugula, etc. Carrots, sweet potato, broccoli, beets, raddish, etc...I think you get the picture. I don't do everything all the time, I chop one day and add five or six things and then when it gets low, I chop up something else to add to it. I also add extra sprouts on occasion. I use a lot of mixes from Avian Organics too but you can just as easily add just about any grain or several and they don't need to be cooked. They will soak up a lot of the water.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
...Carrots...:D

Vega

Real Name
Joni
I've found the excess water causes freezer burn to develop faster. And when I thaw it all out it becomes a goopy mess. The frozen veggies I thaw and then roll them in a towel to absorb the moisture. I do the same with the beans after cooking.

I think I'd lose my mind if I had to do this every week! Mainly because I hate going to the grocery store. :p Thankfully Gypsy prefers her dinners warm. That makes grabbing some thawed/frozen mash and heating it up much easier on me.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Hmmm...you may be right. I stopped freezing a long time ago because my birds just won't touch anything frozen. It's not so bad to cut stuff up every three or four days, depending on how much I do and then the variety is different from day to day as well.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I put all the veggies I'm going to be using in the steamer. I steam them (which softens the potatoes, squash, ect) then I just cut them all up into little pieces/mash them all up and then put them in ice cube containers (I give them the fresh stuff for that day, and put a day or twos worth in the fridge so it's still fresh and serve that). Let them freeze, then put the ice cubes into a container. It's the perfect amount, I just heat it up in the microwave for 30seconds...let it cool down and serve.

Oh! And I just mix the beans, rice, sprouts, ect (things I make in the pot) in with the veggies.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Try using fresh, raw veggies instead of frozen. Don't cook them (don't know if you do, just saying) just run them through a food processor and make kind of a veggie meal to add to your mash. Kale, Mustard Greens, Turnip, Rutabaga, Zucchini, Pumpkin, Okra, Berries of all types (probably have to get them frozen). You can also add raw oatmeal, barley, brown rice, etc.

Every time I make by mix (or mash) it is different, and the birds seem to enjoy it.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
On the beans - can you sprout them and then freeze them? I don't see why you couldn't do it if it's going to be frozen anyway? :huh: I imagine it would probably change up the flavor some if they're sprouted.
and then switching up the pasta and rice for other grains like quinoa, amaranth, maybe cous cous, etc?
On the peppers, if they're chopped, have you tried cutting them up differently, maybe shredding them? Or try different peppers, like jalepeno or serreno(?sp)?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Berries of all types (probably have to get them frozen).
I just scored some fresh domestic strawberries and some organic blueberries the other day!:)

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
oh what about chick peas, are those okay for birds?
-oh yeah, I don't remember if amaranth or cous cous are safe, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't be :huh:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yes, chickpeas are great, especially for sprouting. I'd probably not do the cous cous...heavy on the fat.

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Great ideas! I usually buy the frozen corn/peas/green bean mix because its better than canned, and I can't always find fresh. I make sure to get the store brand though, it doesn't have any added salt. I don't cook them, just thaw them out with warm water and set aside while I chop everything else up.

I normally give them fresh fruit or fruity birdie bread in the morning, then the veggie mash at night. I've tried mixing it up, putting them together...they look at me like they know I did something wrong and why did I change it? lol

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Howard likes edamame. I buy them frozen in the pods. Usually I just thaw them and put them in his foraging ball. But if you were adding them to mash you can buy just the beans.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
This is the mash I wish I could make for my birds Mike's Manna Mash or the 1/4 recipe Mike's Manna Mash. I figure with all those goodies there'd be noway anything would be missing from Jasmine's diet. The only problem is, well 2 problems really, is the initial cost and lack of freezer space. I also am not sure if all of the ingredients would be available this time of year.

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I have read that Mike's Mana recipe before. I'd think that you could modify it to use whatever ingredients are available at the time or to eliminate those your bird won't eat.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
I have read that Mike's Mana recipe before. I'd think that you could modify it to use whatever ingredients are available at the time or to eliminate those your bird won't eat.
I use a food processor to chop mashes into tiny bits so Jazzy can't pick out what she like. Otherwise all she'd eat out of the mash would be corn. She's so fussy.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I also have to dice everything small or puree some so the Diva doesn't pick things out. :rolleyes:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Keep in mind that even though you may take suggestions from sites designed for the eclectus they must be fine tuned to your particular ekkie because of possible food sensitivity issues. What one ekkie may be able to tolerate may not be beneficial for a different one. :hug8:

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Thanks guys! I mixed up the mash over the weekend :D

It included:
Sweet potatoes
Bean mix (only used half a bag instead of the normal whole bag)
Barley
Endive
Broccolli
Cauliflower
Flax seed
Pine nuts
Almonds crushed
Radishes
Brown rice (I put dry rice in a bowl with the chopped endive over night to soak up the moisture-worked very well!)
Fresh green beans
Corn, carrots, peas (frozen mix)

I haven't given it to them yet as they are still finishing up the last of the other mix, but I'm planning on mixing it in tonight. Hopefully the endive & radishes will be a hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.