• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird is sick again, safe to treat on my own?

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Louis condition is worsened, hes now lethargic, has difficulty flying and seems to have an eye infection on his right eye, in fact he's been compulsively scratching/massaging the right side of his eye an neck area instead of sleeping at night and he kind of collapses his body to do so and is constantly fluffed up. So either he has chlamydia or parrot fever and has become immune to the doxycycline and needs a different medication or he has aspergillosus. @Hankmacaw what medications/treatments were your birds prescribed? I don't trust my vet as he already screwed up Louis' prescription and had me double dosing him for an extra week while he was on vacation. I just want to know exactly what to expect if this is his diagnosis.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I’m sorry to hear that. You should ask your vet to do a culture sensitivity test ASAP to confirm what drugs are able to help you. Did he have a blood test to confirm chlamydia at all? I don’t remember what the status of that was.

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
He had a blood test when he first got sick about 7 months ago and it was healthy but I don't think it was tested specifically for chlamydia. The vet basically assumed that because the doxycycline worked the first time that the problem was likely chlamydia and gave me the same medication as before (just added baytril and doubled the dosage).

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Get a 2nd opinion?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@LailaB If you are talking about Aspergillosis the first test would be an Asper titer survey. These tests are not outstandingly reliable - but they are what we have. At the same time he should have a complete blood count. What cell counts are almost always extremely high ( as much as 80/90 thousand) with Asper. To confirm Asper he would need a protein electrophoresis and an Xray. A good vet should be able to have a high confidence with those test of whether it is Asper or not. The last (and not the scariest or most dangerous test) is a laparoscopy, where the Dr. goes in with a tiny instrument and looks around for Asper colonies or other problems.

As far as medications go Itraconazole, which is the most effective, but has some detrimental side effects to the liver should be used for at least awhile. Sarah and I have had good results with Sporanox, that has fewer side effects. Then Lamisil which has the least side effects, but is also the least effective - meaning longer treatment. The one mistake that most Dr.s make is to not treat for Asper for long enough. DO NOT allow your Dr. to prescribe Amphotericin B except in a nebulizer for a maximum of 5 days - it is very toxic to the liver, although the most effective on the fungal infection. None of the other lower lever fungicides, like fluconazole have any effect at all on Asper.

Put your bird on Milk Thistle/Dandelion immediately. It is supportive of the liver and kidneys and are two herbs that are even approved by the Mayo Clinic.

There may be new drugs out there for Asper, as I haven't dealt with it for several years now.

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Update: Louis has had the tests done by a different vet, should have the results of the cultures soon. The new vet told me that I was giving Louis 1000X the recommended dosage when he was taking both baytril and doxy twice daily. I'm quite disgusted by this news and glad I stopped giving him the meds when I did. For the meantime I'm giving Lou doxy once per day as anything more than that causes severe diarrhea and he's stabilized at bit (less sneezing/lethargy) and the vet thinks I should continue with this as he also believes Louis has chlamydia(I've been feeling kinda of sick too and may have caught it from him so yikes)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow that's so scary!!

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
hey guys the prognosis is not good, the vet said the antibiotics basically destroyed his insides which can happen sometimes where they do more harm then good, also for the last three days hes been picking at his ear and managed to expose his ear drum and air sacs and he's lost so much blood and weight that the vet said there's a huge chance he will just die being operated on. So she's given Lou some sedatives and bandaged the wound really well so he can't pick at it (he's pissed about that) and said he has a few more weeks to live. She suggested euthanasia but I'm not ready just yet the whole thing is quite depressing really. But my sister suggested I make an Instagram account taking about him and sharing stuff so I've done that, I also plan on taking him outside to enjoy some sunshine as much as I can these next few weeks. If any of you have lost pets and you want to share a pic/bio about them please send msg them to me on insta, Its really been helping me so far :) kinglouisthe15th (@mr.lou09) • Instagram photos and videos

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't do the Social Media sites, but I want to express my sincere sympathy for you. I'm still trying to get my head around the 1000x dosage of Baytril ond Doxy, was it what the vet prescribed, or was it a pharmacy error? Whichever, it is criminal that that extreme overdose was prescribed. I've never heard of giving Doxy and Baytril together. I have to admit that I'm very angry about your situation - it is inexcusable.

For the future always check the dosage on prescriptions from your vet - check the vet's prescription and check the pharmacy filling it correctly. I once had a pharmacy screw up and Jasper. If you can't figure out if the prescription is the correct dosage, come on here and we will check it for you.

I'm so very sorry. Love Louis a lot every day.

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Here's what happened, during the appointment with Dr.Lukwaldt (at Greenwood Animal Hospital, Toronto) he said to give Louis Doxy for 10 days and Baytril for 6 weeks to fully clear his chlamydia, he said I could give him both medications because birds are quote "tough little things," then he got a phone call and left telling me he would write up the prescription. When I went home both bottles said that each medication was to be given to him twice daily for 6 weeks which I knew was a mistake. After about 10 days I called in and asked if there had been a mistake in the prescription and the receptionist reassured me that the vet himself wrote out the prescription. I was wary (because I only saw the vet techs readying the medications while he took his phone call) but continued giving him the medication, by day 14 he started getting terrible diarrhea and lost a lot of weight. I stopped giving him the meds altogether and called the vet repeatedly and left about 3 messages. They did not get back to me for a whole WEEK! Reason being that the vet was on vacation, the receptionist told me that "btw the vet did make a mistake on your prescription, it was suppose to be baytril and doxy for 10 days plus doxy for the next 6 weeks" I told her how badly Louis was doing and she said to bring him in but I was so pissed off that I looked for other vets opinions on the situation, luckily I have a family friend who primarily works with farm animals who said he wouldn't even give that amount of antibiotics to one of his chickens if it were sick and that Louis was being overdosed. I gave him a break from the meds for about 4 days and then started him on doxy only ONCE per day which the new vet recommended. He was doing better and he stopped sneezing so much, but I'm afraid it was already too far gone by that point because he began picking at his head on Friday(Oct 5th) so I booked an appointment at a new vet close by and the closest date I could get was Tuesday Oct 9th. From Friday to Sunday he literally tore a massive hole on the right side of his head, its literally all he would do day and night..i don't think he slept once. I put a band-aid wrap tightly around his neck with a cotton ball with some polysporin on it over the cut. That helped a little bit but then he just started scratching on top of it and digging his nail inside the bandage. I cut his nails and did everything I could to stop him but the vet was pretty horrified at what he had done to himself when she saw him on Tuesday. My new vet Dr.Reagan (at High Park Animal Hospital, Toronto) said he's basically beyond helping at this point due to blood loss and infection, but she put on this really awesome bandage (made from a pool noodle) around his neck so he can't scratch anymore and its light enough material that he can still hold his head up and eat. She was pretty awesome. He's on sedatives now and I'm kinda just preparing for it to happen. Thanks for the Love though! I really appreciate it and all you guys' help though out this!

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's what happened, during the appointment with Dr.Lukwaldt (at Greenwood Animal Hospital, Toronto) he said to give Louis Doxy for 10 days and Baytril for 6 weeks to fully clear his chlamydia, he said I could give him both medications because birds are quote "tough little things," then he got a phone call and left telling me he would write up the prescription. When I went home both bottles said that each medication was to be given to him twice daily for 6 weeks which I knew was a mistake. After about 10 days I called in and asked if there had been a mistake in the prescription and the receptionist reassured me that the vet himself wrote out the prescription. I was wary (because I only saw the vet techs readying the medications while he took his phone call) but continued giving him the medication, by day 14 he started getting terrible diarrhea and lost a lot of weight. I stopped giving him the meds altogether and called the vet repeatedly and left about 3 messages. They did not get back to me for a whole WEEK! Reason being that the vet was on vacation, the receptionist told me that "btw the vet did make a mistake on your prescription, it was suppose to be baytril and doxy for 10 days plus doxy for the next 6 weeks" I told her how badly Louis was doing and she said to bring him in but I was so pissed off that I looked for other vets opinions on the situation, luckily I have a family friend who primarily works with farm animals who said he wouldn't even give that amount of antibiotics to one of his chickens if it were sick and that Louis was being overdosed. I gave him a break from the meds for about 4 days and then started him on doxy only ONCE per day which the new vet recommended. He was doing better and he stopped sneezing so much, but I'm afraid it was already too far gone by that point because he began picking at his head on Friday(Oct 5th) so I booked an appointment at a new vet close by and the closest date I could get was Tuesday Oct 9th. From Friday to Sunday he literally tore a massive hole on the right side of his head, its literally all he would do day and night..i don't think he slept once. I put a band-aid wrap tightly around his neck with a cotton ball with some polysporin on it over the cut. That helped a little bit but then he just started scratching on top of it and digging his nail inside the bandage. I cut his nails and did everything I could to stop him but the vet was pretty horrified at what he had done to himself when she saw him on Tuesday. My new vet Dr.Reagan (at High Park Animal Hospital, Toronto) said he's basically beyond helping at this point due to blood loss and infection, but she put on this really awesome bandage (made from a pool noodle) around his neck so he can't scratch anymore and its light enough material that he can still hold his head up and eat. She was pretty awesome. He's on sedatives now and I'm kinda just preparing for it to happen. Thanks for the Love though! I really appreciate it and all you guys' help though out this!
I am so sorry this is happening to you. Reading this just breaks my heart. You and Louis are in my thoughts, and I hope he pulls through. :sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry that this has happened. Sending positive thoughts your way and hoping that somehow Louis will have the strength to pull through.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh @LailaB - what a heartbreaking story! I am hoping and praying for a miracle here. I have seen in the past where docs thought humans would die, but they are still alive. SO hoping this might happen with Louis. You have done your absolute best for him. Big hugs and prayers.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
That is so disgusting, I can’t believe the negligence of that vet!!! I am so sorry that you and Lou had to go through this :( You are both in my thoughts, and I hope that he’s able to pull through. I hope you are doing alright, take care of yourself too:sadhug2:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Just found out about this thread, did anyone hear about Laila? I really hope Louis is okay! Poor angel... :(