• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird in need in Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Wasn't sure where to post this. Anyone in the area of Colorado Springs that can help this bird?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
you haven't given any details at all about the bird...???
contact Metro Denver Parrot Rescue. They are in the CoSpgs area. 303-495-6983
The Gabriel Foundation is also in Elizabeth nearby but they may be more crowded. For a bird in need, still worth a call though.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Screenshot_20170831-003055.png
you haven't given any details at all about the bird...???
contact Metro Denver Parrot
Oops. My bad. I thought that I had posted the entire link and info. I am, sadly, the President of the TCG (Technologically Challenged Generation). Guess I goofed. Sorry!

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Hi, I'm a wildlife rehabilitator who takes care of baby birds, and although I'm not in Colorado, I do have a list of rehabbers that are.
I'll attach it in a sec :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope the baby will find a wonderful person who will help it.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Hi, I'm a wildlife rehabilitator who takes care of baby birds, and although I'm not in Colorado, I do have a list of rehabbers that are.
I'll attach it in a sec :)
Thank you! I'm not in Colorado either! Just thought I'd put it out there for any bird people who might be. When I took in the fledgling about to be eaten by feral cats last summer, I called every wildlife/rehab/ rangers/etc. I could get info on. I called every day for a week. I never got a response. It was illegal to help the bird I saved, though it's not illegal to kill one... Turned out to be a Band Tailed Pigeon. I soft released him many months later, tho it broke my heart a bit. Okay, a lot. :sadbye:

Hope someone will help this baby.

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Thank you! I'm not in Colorado either! Just thought I'd put it out there for any bird people who might be. When I took in the fledgling about to be eaten by feral cats last summer, I called every wildlife/rehab/ rangers/etc. I could get info on. I called every day for a week. I never got a response. It was illegal to help the bird I saved, though it's not illegal to kill one... Turned out to be a Band Tailed Pigeon. I soft released him many months later, tho it broke my heart a bit. Okay, a lot. :sadbye:

Hope someone will help this baby.

Oh wow I'm so sorry you never got a response! Weird... the rehabs in my area would get back to you asap. I'm glad you were able to take care of him, it's always hard to let them go:shy: :heart: :dove:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is really bad that you got no response. Can you follow up on that with them and find out what happened?

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
That is really bad that you got no response. Can you follow up on that with them and find out what happened?
My best guess is that they were very overwhelmed with patients and they couldn't accept any new ones. It would put their lifesaving work in jeopardy to tell you to raise the animal yourself, and against a rehabbers moral code to tell you to let him die (as it's against the law to raise the little guy and could shut down the entire rehab in some states that don't approve of wildlife rehabilitation), so they didn't respond and just had to hope for the best?

This is just speculation... however I really have no idea. What rehab was it?

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I'd have to look it up again. I do know that I also called Fish & Game. Turns out the Band Tailed Pigeon is a pretty special bird...the largest pigeon native to North America, the only pigeon native to California, the most closely related to the extinct Passenger Pigeon. A parasite, thought to have gone extinct with the Passenger Pigeon, has been recently discovered on the Band Tailed Pigeon. The range of the BTP is changing. Acorns used to make up a large part of their diet. They swallow them whole...shell and all. However, drought, wildfires and, of course, human encroachment, along with the "invasive" Eurasian Collared Dove (I hate that we bring them here, use them for our own agenda, throw them out when we're done with them, then, when they survive and thrive, we call them an invasive species).

I know my Miyetti is still living in the area where he was born and raised and released. Every time I visit my old neighbor, I call Miyetti, , he usually comes to the power line right above my friend's
balcony. Generally shy and untrusting of humans, this BTP comes to almost land on my head and hangs around as long as I am there. Has to be my baby, right? 062016 Miyetti Day 01(1).jpg 0830161329(1)(1).jpg

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I'd have to look it up again. I do know that I also called Fish & Game. Turns out the Band Tailed Pigeon is a pretty special bird...the largest pigeon native to North America, the only pigeon native to California, the most closely related to the extinct Passenger Pigeon. A parasite, thought to have gone extinct with the Passenger Pigeon, has been recently discovered on the Band Tailed Pigeon. The range of the BTP is changing. Acorns used to make up a large part of their diet. They swallow them whole...shell and all. However, drought, wildfires and, of course, human encroachment, along with the "invasive" Eurasian Collared Dove (I hate that we bring them here, use them for our own agenda, throw them out when we're done with them, then, when they survive and thrive, we call them an invasive species).

I know my Miyetti is still living in the area where he was born and raised and released. Every time I visit my old neighbor, I call Miyetti, , he usually comes to the power line right above my friend's
balcony. Generally shy and untrusting of humans, this BTP comes to almost land on my head and hangs around as long as I am there. Has to be my baby, right? View attachment 255923 View attachment 255924
Oh that's wonderful that he's survived and thrived in his native environment!!! I can assure you there's a very little chance of it being anyone else:D

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I moved from Colorado springs a few weeks ago. I sent OP a message.The closest rescue in CO at this time that is still open is in pueblo, nearly an hour from the Springs. However, I am close friends with a former rehabber who would do anything to save that baby. I'm going to try and get her to help and get that baby to safety. I'd pick the poor thing up myself, but I just moved across country.

Status
Not open for further replies.