• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Food for my Fids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hi everyone. I am requesting your help again on what food to try for my fid's. The last order was Harrison's Adult Lifetime Coarse and High Potency Coarse. They are not eating either one. I do like that I am able to buy 1 lb at a time so I am not wasting my money on something they are tossing out of their cage. I also tried to put it into my bread and they still pick it out. :confused:Any suggestions for my next order later today?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How long did you try Harrisons for? And when you stuck it in the bread did you mash it up, soggy it up and mix it well? Also what methods did you try to convert them?

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Try this:

Soak 1 cup of Parrot Pellets in 100% natural fruit juice or warm water, until soft and all liquid is absorbed.

In a Food Processor or Blender;
1/4 c Raw Veggies (broccoli, carrots, corn, arugula, etc.)
1/4 c Raw Fresh Fruit (Apple, blueberry, Mango, Papaya etc.)
1/4 c Uncooked Whole Oats
1/4 c Cooked Pasta (Whole Wheat Preferred)

Add Soaked Pellets and mix until relatively smooth.

I vary the ingredients from batch to batch, using different types of whole grains, different juices and a variety of fruit and veggies. In all cases pellets always make up at least 50% of each cube to begin with.

Spoon the mixture into ice cube trays, cover with plastic wrap or foil and freeze until frozen solid. Once frozen, transfer the cubes into a heavy duty freezer bag and store in the freezer.•

To feed - microwave for about 45 seconds, stirring thoroughly to avoid hot spots.•

The average ice cube yields the appropriate single serving size for the average African Grey. I have found that a Cockatiel will eat about 1/3 of a cube at one-time, and the larger birds, such as a Macaws and Cockatoos will eat about 2 cubes at one-time.

Over a period of weeks, gradually reduce the amount of cereal/fruit/veggies in the cubes (i.e. - instead of 1/4c of each, use 1/8c of each and make up the difference with pellets), until the cubes consist entirely of soaked pellets. From there, gradually reduce the amount of moisture, until they are eating dry pellets.

Good Luck!!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Don't forget you can contact these different companies and ask for free samples for you to try with your birds. I know Harrison's and Lafaeber's (?) will send free samples. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Also, it takes time, sometimes lots and lots of time, to get a bird to convert to pellets. A couple ways I got my fids to eat their Harrison's is I would take the fids out their own cages, put pellets in one cage and allow the other 3 birds (at different times) to explore their 'fiblings' cage. For some reason they would try the pellets then. Guess they assumed their fiblings were getting something better.

I'd also hide the pellets in their foraging toys. They began to think of them as treats. I'd also keep a couple on my plate of healthy food and share these meals with the fids; handing them bites of carrots, apples, etc and occasionally a pellet. I've eaten (yuck) pellets and pretended to eat pellets making dramatic YUMMY noises to attract their interest as well.

Good luck, it can be a long and expensive conversion.

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Thank you Brigid, Shelly, and Mercedez.
I have in fact tried to give them pellets soaked in Pineapple juice and Apple juice. I have given it to them mashed and also hidden in a bread type meal. I have added different fruits or veggie's and they still pick them out. I guess I could keep trying different combo's until I find one they will like.
I will also contact Harrison's to see if they will send me samples of other foods.
Some of them will eat fruit flavored pellets and some will eat a seed based mix that the rescue had them eating which I am hoping to get totally away from.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I also soaked my Harrisons HP Coarse in juice, pomegranite worked best. I did this for one or two weeks with Prudence, and then a month or so with Penny. Worked great :)

HungryBird

You could try Goldenfeast Golden'obles. They are shaped like cheerios so I string them up on leather rope and my birds love ripping them off and eating them!

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Harrison's also sells a birdie bread mix that's mostly just their pellets ground up. You could try some of this to see if they take to that; just a thought.

I'm also on the fence at the moment as far as pellet conversions go. My little guys are on Zupreem Natural, Jude is on Roudybush. I supplement them all with fresh cooked or raw fruits & veggies, birdie bread, mash, and Kathie's ( http://www.MySafeBirdStore.com ) non-pelleted Bountiful Harvest ( Bountiful Harvest *NO PELLET* Blend PER LB. - MY BIRD SAFE BLENDS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE ) I'd like to have everyone on the same thing if at all possible. I'm not too sure about Harrison's due to the sunflower seeds and peanuts. I've been giving some thought to Pretty Bird Natural Gold but it (as do Roudybush and Zupreem) have [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Methionine. It seems as if there's no perfect pellet!
[/FONT]

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Truely's favorite pellet wings down is Goldenfeast GoldenObles. She likes them crushed or whole.

Ginger

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
I feed Harrison's HP coarse and fine here. I've been trying the Golden Obles because I love the ingrediant list...but neither of them seem interested. I'll keep offering them since I have about four pounds of them. :) The Harrison's HP seem to be the pellet of choice here. For now. :lol:

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
You could try Goldenfeast Golden'obles. They are shaped like cheerios so I string them up on leather rope and my birds love ripping them off and eating them!
Thank you Hungry Bird. I like the idea of the rope. I will have to try this.

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Just put through a large order for different types/flavors of food with Kathy. Hopefully they will like so of them. Thank you everyone who helped with this decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.