• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Crush

happykappy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wendy
Met a very sweet 18yo female yesterday. Reputable store, comes with great cage and some accessories..spent 3 hours with her. I have 2 cockatiels and a bee bee at home. I love Hawkheads, any constructive feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you thinking of getting her? I don't think people on AA stress this enough about hawkheads, but they are very much like their cousins, the caiques. They are NOT easy birds at all. Target (16 year old female) can be sweet one second, and a terror the next. Very Jekyll and Hyde. I also find them to be one-person birds -- Target likes my mother the best. She tolerates me most of the time, but can really hate on me the next. She is sweet 100% of the time with her chosen person, my mother, though. And she absolutely hates my dad. I had a problem (and still do) with her divebomb-style attacking my dad, unprovoked. Even just seeing him would set her off. She also does NOT tolerate other birds at all, and has seriously injured one of my conures in the past. So I would recommend complete separation from your birds, who are all very little.

I will tell you that when I first got her though, she was very sweet. There was a prolonged honeymoon period of about half a year or so before I noticed her Jekyll-and-Hyde behaviour.

I love my Target (we have our moments), but I always like to warn people beforehand who seem to think hawkheads are always sweet, docile creatures.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have had Loki for about 5 months and she has been nothing but lovely ..she has the sweetest voice ..and has only bitten me twice and that was on the first day I got her ...she has a very loud call though so be warned ...she is 11 yrs old ...the one thing I have noticed it has taken some time for her to play ..she doesnt play to much but loves shiny things ...she loves her food pellets and fruit but is not much for veggies ...I couldnt have picked a better fid for a second bird in my home ..I just love her :D

happykappy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wendy
I anticipate a call from her previous owner, that should answer a lot of questions. the store owner mentioned I could be her mom's sister so maybe the resemblance helps, her previous owner bred lovebirds, so i am hoping that may ease any potential transition.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Are you thinking of getting her? I don't think people on AA stress this enough about hawkheads, but they are very much like their cousins, the caiques. They are NOT easy birds at all. Target (16 year old female) can be sweet one second, and a terror the next. Very Jekyll and Hyde. I also find them to be one-person birds -- Target likes my mother the best. She tolerates me most of the time, but can really hate on me the next. She is sweet 100% of the time with her chosen person, my mother, though. And she absolutely hates my dad. I had a problem (and still do) with her divebomb-style attacking my dad, unprovoked. Even just seeing him would set her off. She also does NOT tolerate other birds at all, and has seriously injured one of my conures in the past. So I would recommend complete separation from your birds, who are all very little.

I will tell you that when I first got her though, she was very sweet. There was a prolonged honeymoon period of about half a year or so before I noticed her Jekyll-and-Hyde behaviour.

I love my Target (we have our moments), but I always like to warn people beforehand who seem to think hawkheads are always sweet, docile creatures.
Yes I have found Loki to be a one person bird as well but I am trying to train her to be more ...they really liked her at the vet they said she was very good ...I havent seen the jekyll and hyde side yet but I have had only for a short time ...right now I cant imagine it how sweet she is ...Loki has never shown any issues with Tyrion at all ..maybe because he is so much bigger then she is ...I hope she stays the way she is and this isnt just a honeymoon period ..I guess time will tell :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You only live once. Phoebe Greene Linden has some good articles on HHs, too. @waterfaller1 ???

happykappy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wendy
I did it! Picked her up yesterday, all is going well..heard the scream. Covered her briefly. When she stopped, uncovered all is well.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congrats on your new girl! I'm sure you'll have many happy years together :) Post plenty of pictures!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Matt

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congrats! Bring on the pics when she's settled!

happykappy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wendy
Well it has been a few weeks, we love her! We noticed 2 things: she began picking at the edge of her wings and her feet. Not severely, bit noticeable. I have been placing a few drops of rescue remedy in her water in the hopes this helps. She eats well, engages with all of us. Oh and I was told men with beards may be an issue...not so, she loves him too. pics soon.