• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bedding?

Northwinds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela Hendrickson
What does everyone use for the trays under the grates in their bird cage? Also looking for something to use in the playtoo tray. We have young birds and they like tie at the corncob bedding.
Has anyone used the lavender scented small animal bedding? Would it be safe to use?

Thanks in advance

Pam:thankyou:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just use plain unprinted newspaper. I wouldn't use anything scented or printed on for their safety, as they may eat it and be poisoned. With small animal bedding I'd also worry about impaction.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Newspapers! No scents of any kind around your birds - their respiratory system is extremely complex and extremely delicate.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
I think I know about the bedding you're talking about, the lavender one. I have that bedding but I don't really use it lol. I found it to be a little too strong to put at the bottom of the cage so I just have it sitting with the rest of my bird supplies. Everyone once in a while I lightly sprinkle a few pieces of it at the bottom of the cage to add some color even though now the scent is gone because of how long I let the bag sit for.

I second the newspaper though.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I used to use bird sand, then I used crushed shells... Now I use newspaper/large flyers. Much cheaper and easier to clean.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't use scented bedding, corn cob or walnut shells. Use some type of paper. I use paper towels or continuous feed computer paper which I detach to fit the cage trays.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I use packing paper, like for when you're moving. It comes in big white sheets and a huge bundle is very cheap. I don't get newspapers delivered and sales flyers just weren't enough.

Northwinds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela Hendrickson
Ours birds are in our living room and looking for something more anesthetically pleasing to see than newspaper. But in all honestly I imagine I will be using newspaper soon. No more corncob...did find some shredded soft paper bedding but really rather expensive to change on a daily basis. The computer printout paper is a great idea also.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use Uhaul newsprint

U-Haul: Packing Paper (200 Sheets)

Easier to see quickly if there is abnormal droppings which is often the first sign of illness. Litters make it harder to see :)