• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Big Bird's Wellness Exam

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
This past Saturday was Big Bird’s turn to visit the vet, He did very well going into the travel carrier (I placed on his favorite toys in there to make it easier for him).

He had his wellness check which includes a physical examination and any nail/wing/beak trimming. Apart from that I went ahead and also had a full blood work done on him to check his stats and have a base number. It really helps to get this done at least every couple of years so if in the future you need to have blood work done because they aren’t feeling well, the doctor can compare those numbers with a base of what he has had in the past.

Aside from that he also had stool sample exam done to check for giardia and other bacterias.

Everything came back excellent.

So in regards to his plucking, the vet told me he isn’t actually plucking as much as over preening. He still has his grey down , he just over preens his feathers. She asked me about his cage size, the number of toys he has and the type of foods he eats. She told me a lot of birds pluck and over preen out of boredom. some others might do it due to dry skin. In Big Bird’s case, his skin is a tiny bit on the dry side but nothing alarming that might cause him to over preen.

She told me about foraging and how placing his food in foraging toys might help him with his boredom if he has any. Keep his mind active so to speak. I have known all this before and already doing a lot of these things with Big Bird.

So the battle against him over preening continues. It is good to know he is healthy and there are no medical issues. Our vet also recommended I bathe him at least 3 times a week. She told me to just use water, no special misting sprays…

My big Bird behaved very well. He really is the sweetest boy! He didn’t bite anyone and would step up readily. He hated being toweled to trim his nails (they used a dremmel on him) and to have blood drawn for the blood tests

But he didn't hold any ill will towards me or the vet so he got extra treats and toys when we got home.
link: La Magdalena

unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (4).jpg unnamed.jpg

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so glad he had a great visit..give him a big kiss on that smoochable beak from me! :heart:

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:highfive: wonderful news!! what peace of mind uh? you give that snuggle bunny a big kiss from me...awwww:xflove:~~

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is there really a difference between plucking and over preening?

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Is there really a difference between plucking and over preening?
according to my vet there is. plucking is pulling the feather straight out from the root. Baldness occurs and self mutilation can happen after. Over preening she said is kinda the 1st step. Where they just kind of take off all the initial feather and leave the down alone. The cause of all of these things, if medical issues aren't a factor are a guessing game. :(

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Glad his appointment went well!

Where did you take him?

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Glad his appointment went well!

Where did you take him?
ABC animal and bird clinic. The vets there are nice, they have 3+ avian vets there. It is kinda pricey, I suspected that for my birds, but since I take my dogs there too, for dogs it is definitely over priced but I have no complaints. They are open 7 days a week, on the weekends the hours are reduced but they do open, plus they give you an emergency number to call if anything should happen after hours.

Boarding them there though is ridiculously expensive but it gives me peace of mind.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Is that towards downtown? For some reason I'm thinking that bird rescue uses them?

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
It is the rescue within Adventures in Birds. It is called Spring Branch Animal & Bird Sanctuary.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
It is the rescue within Adventures in Birds. It is called Spring Branch Animal & Bird Sanctuary.
I have been to adventure in birds plenty of times. they have business cards for abc animal and bird clinic on their desk. no wonder some of the birds I see there, they look like they have had a pretty tough go at it. I am not a big fan of the heat there (no air conditioning during the hot summer months) or the weevils in the food they sell, but I do appreciate all the different animals they try to place in good homes. I have seen cats, dogs, birds, even wild animals there.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I agree... last summer I went there and every single bird had their wings away from their body and mouths open. It was a little sad to see.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
He is adorable :heart:
Glad the appt went well!
Is that the vet whose glasses he grabbed? :lol:

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Your slightly nude boy is very handsome.. Maybe he was a pole dancer in a former life and just prefers the lil bits of cover and not much else :dance4: :lol:.
Totally being a doofus here... But well done on his a+ report :)

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
He's a doll, even with some feathers missing. :)

Glad everything came back good! :highfive: Love the photos!