• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Betta fish peeps

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
What is the best type/brand of food to feed a betta? He doesn't like the little pellets but will eat the freeze dried shrimp. Thanks for any tips!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What type of pellets did you try? The Hikari betta bio gold pellets, or New Life spectrum are good. I like Southern Delight foods, but his betta pellets are not on the market yet. He just sent me a sample, and Sultan is taking them well. I have also used Omega One pellets.
Another food you can feed, but not every day is frozen bloodworms.A defrosted frozen pea, with the shell removed is recommended from time to time, to reduce the risk of constipation. A day off food, then the pea, then the bloodworms will help keep things moving.
Freeze dried foods have little nutritional value, so are ok as a treat, but not a staple.
Stay away from tetra, wardley's, aqueon, and topfin. These are cheap foods with a lot of filler. Same as with birds,you want to avoid ingredients that are inferior, and go with foods that have real ingredients like Krill,herring,shrimp as the first ingredient.

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Live food is always good. My last Betta loved some bloodworm or daphnia every now and then. Some of the frozen foods are good too as they retain nutrients unlike freeze dried. But a whole cube is too much for a Betta, so I'd defrost and pick out his portion and pop the rest in one of my community tanks.

Like Carole says peas for constipation prevention are great.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What Carole said :)

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Not sure what the brand I had was, I threw it out. :huh: But,it was probably garbage. :meh: I'll take a look at the brands mentioned here as soon as I can get to the store. I'll get some frozen blood worms too. (already have the peas)

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
My betta wouldn't eat ANY pellet I gave him. I tried every brand, every pet store, so eventually I had to stick with the only thing he'd eat.. the dried blood worms. :x They're not necessarily healthy, but it's better than him starving.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Try again! I prefer floating pellets, only give a few, and remove any uneaten ones and feed however many that is less next time. ;)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I love New Life Spectrum for all of my fish! My bettas I've had in the past have especially liked it!

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I'm pretty sure I tried Hikari. Can I get New Life Spectrum in a store, or only on line? I dropped half a defrosted frozen pea in the tank, but her barely looked at it. I stuck the other half on the end of a chop stick and he ate some, but he seemed really mad. :mad:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
We sold it at the pet store I use to work at but it was a smaller ohio area chain. I think I saw it at petsmart...I don't remember. I know you can get it in stores I just don't know which stores.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You should be able to find it in a good store. I kind of like buying things online though. I figure the few bucks for shipping I would spend in time and gas anyway.
Perhaps there is something else you can buy along with it to make it worth it? Get a few different types of food, and a bottle of seachem prime, which you can always use. If you aren't using it, you should be..;)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I dropped half a defrosted frozen pea in the tank, but her barely looked at it. I stuck the other half on the end of a chop stick and he ate some, but he seemed really mad. :mad:
You pretty much have to give them the day off first so they are really hungry. Cut the pea so it isn't a huge chunk. It should be warmed up to soften it first. Remove any uneaten portion after a bit.

Wayne361

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Wayne
I agree with NLS (new life spectrum).....I got a big pail a while back. I think 1Kg. Great food and lasts a long time. I also would feed cut up earthworms, and daphnia. Had a pond outside my other house that I could just go and scoop out fresh daphnia from. All my fish would go nuts for them....cheap and healthy for fish.