• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best way to thread Finger Traps/Shreddables?

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
So, I recently was able to take advantage of California Bird Nerd's Black Friday Sale (thank you SO much @calibird!)

I'm happily stringing up toys that I know my birds will love, but I ordered those paper finger traps, as my GCC, who is more of a timid chewer, will destroy those but isn't even a fan of Balsa :jawdrop1:.

Paper shreddables are clearly the way to go for him. But as I was trying to incorporate them onto his toy, I was having SUCH a difficult time! I see lots of people folding them over and making lovely shapes/toys out of them. I normally just thread the hemp rope I have through something on it's own and deal with the fraying on the end when it slows me down. Mini munch balls can be trying (if you've doubled the cord up, as I frequently do, it's hard to get both ends through!) but those finger traps were my undoing :faint:

Any tips on how to string them? I'm thinking a needle of some sort must be used to pull the cord through, but I'd love to hear your suggestions!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I usually find an opening where the weave meets, push my cord through, and find another opening on the other side. If there's not a hole already, I'll just push the weave aside a bit to make room. I tried a hole punch, but it just compromised the structural integrity of the finger trap too much. These are the only thing Chirp will shred/touch, so I've become rather good at it :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have used a hole punch, but usually I just take a pair of scissors and push a hole through between the weave to make a larger space to put stuff through :)

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I use a bobby pin. Depending on your rope it should hold onto the rope enough so that you can use the bobby pin almost as a needle like you're sewing. :)

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I use a bobby pin. Depending on your rope it should hold onto the rope enough so that you can use the bobby pin almost as a needle like you're sewing. :)
Oh I'm definitely going to try this!
Even when I used a scissors to widen the hole, it somehow "shrank" before i could get both ends through. It was driving me nuts! But I bet a bobby pin would do the trick!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Another option is Plastic Needles in the Kids Craft section. They usually have a really large hole to use with rope.