• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best UVB/UVA light for birds?

BLKil83

Moving in
I'm between the classic ZooMed standing lamp and the Arcadia PureSun mini. The light is for a male budgie in a flight cage and would have to cover only half of the cage so he can choose when to be under it. I'm hoping it'll encourage him to be more active. If there are other brands/options out there that you'd recommend please let me know. Thanks :)

Last edited:

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Do not use UVB bulbs for birds! They can damage their eyes, especially ones made for reptiles, and they don't need them! There is some good info here The truth about artificial light compared to natural light

Normal lighting is fine. Birds get the vitamin D they need from a good pellet/supplement, not artificial lighting. I use a light that mimics the color range and brightness of sunlight, NOT because it supplies UVB/UVA.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Arcadia would be the only ones I would use.

BLKil83

Moving in
Do not use UVB bulbs for birds! They can damage their eyes, especially ones made for reptiles, and they don't need them! There is some good info here The truth about artificial light compared to natural light

Normal lighting is fine. Birds get the vitamin D they need from a good pellet/supplement, not artificial lighting. I use a light that mimics the color range and brightness of sunlight, NOT because it supplies UVB/UVA.
If used incorrectly, UV lights can harm any animal. While UV light isn't necessary for survival, it improves quality of life. The article you linked had some assumptions that I noticed, mainly that all UVB bulbs are the same and are manufactured for diurnal desert reptiles when in fact there is an extremely wide variety of UV lighting. (It also seemed to be mainly focused on "full spectrum lighting" which is indeed often a marketing ploy, rather than focusing on UV lighting itself-- though one of the links in the article led to a vet article that actually did recommend UV lighting). Nowadays there is even extremely low-level UV lighting made for crepuscular animals to allow them natural behaviors such as cryptic basking, or in the case of crepuscular hot climate animals, actual daytime basking. As a reptile owner I can tell you UV improves the life of many animals marketed as not needing any UV, because they do use it occasionally in the wild.

My main concern is not the synthesis of vitamin D, as my budgie is on a good quality pellet that contains vitamin D supplement. What I want is to make him happier-- most birds, including budgies, see differently under UV light than we do as they have tetrachromatic vision compared to our trichromatic vision. Budgies in particular have certain feathers that fluoresce under UV light which helps in choosing mates, and possibly foraging and other natural behaviors. My budgie is not very active and uninterested in toys-- even before my older female passed away he was not nearly as active as her and preferred to sit in one spot. I'd like to try providing him with low level UV lighting to see if his mental well-being improves as all birds are different and some need a little more help to be happier in captivity. As mentioned above, it would be a low level bulb and only over part of the cage, with most of the cage being lit by a normal LED room light and even an area that is covered by a blanket as well. The positioning of the bulb would also be careful, with it being high enough to ensure the light is not shining into his eyes, and farther away so the level of UVB reaching him is very low (around 1.0 to 2.0). I'd also only be leaving it on for a few hours to test if the bird would actually use it, and to ensure it's safe. If I lived in a warmer climate I'd bring him outside in a travel cage a couple days a week or to a room with an open screened window, but unfortunately that's not feasible right now.

A lot of people who have harmed their animals with UV lighting were using dangerous methods. I was shocked to see some of the bulbs people had used for birds-- one post that showed a bird with burns on it had been using an extremely powerful bulb meant for bearded dragons that a lot of reptile owners wouldn't even recommend to each other. UV lighting can be very dangerous, so it's important you're using a good quality bulb that's been tested for output as well as positioned in a way that is not dangerous. For lots of people it's too risky and that's fine, because yes, it absolutely can be dangerous. But for some birds, it can be really beneficial.

Do birds need UV light? No, they can survive fine without it, and some can even be harmed by it. But if you do careful research, consult an avian vet, and implement a good quality, very low level bulb over only part of the cage, it can provide benefits to some birds. So yes, I am going to try providing UV lighting for my bird. If he's not using it or acts distressed, I'll remove it, but it's worth a try to see if it improves his quality of life.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
For lots of people it's too risky and that's fine, because yes, it absolutely can be dangerous. But for some birds, it can be really beneficial.

Do birds need UV light? No, they can survive fine without it, and some can even be harmed by it. But if you do careful research, consult an avian vet, and implement a good quality, very low level bulb over only part of the cage, it can provide benefits to some birds. So yes, I am going to try providing UV lighting for my bird. If he's not using it or acts distressed, I'll remove it, but it's worth a try to see if it improves his quality of life.
I mean, your original post mentioned a ZooMed standing lamp, which I've only seen marketed for reptiles, with no context to suggest you'd be using a different kind of bulb. I've spoken to folks who planned to use a reptile bulb with their birds, and you saw photos of birds with burned eyes, so I'd say sharing that warning wasn't unwarranted. That's also why I specified UVB (which are not exclusively but most ofter are reptile bubs). It would make zero sense to say "don't use UV bulbs for birds" when most artificial light emits some amount of UV. But it's great that you've done your research.

There are way more badly marketed bulbs (especially in big box pet stores) than accurately marketed bulbs, and plenty of products marketed for parrots that are horribly dangerous or potentially deadly, and I think that's what the article I linked was addressing. It's not speaking to hobbyists with knowledge of specialized reptile or zoo lighting. It's great that you feel confident and familiar with the range of bulbs. I'd personally need to read more studies to feel confident it improves quality of life for birds more than occasional time in the actual sun (maybe that is true for zoos with massive indoor-only enclosures-- I'd imagine if there were any studies they'd be done in partnership with zoos or birds in laboratory conditions), or more than normal artificial light (because almost all artificial light emits some UV). Not saying it doesn't! I just haven't personally seen much proof.

I'm a little confused by the implication that budgies' tetrachromatic vision is hampered by normal artificial light-- you are saying you want to enhance it?

But if it's important to you, there are certainly options. Lighting would not be my first point of concern if my budgie was lethargic, but it sounds like you've probably addressed other potential issues. Was your vet the one who suggested experimenting with a higher UV-emitting light? I'd be interested to hear if it helps!

Last edited:

BLKil83

Moving in
ZooMed has a bulb marketed for birds, called AvianSun, which is what I was referencing. It has been recommended by vets so with some extra precautions it's good enough for me.

The fourth cone in birds' eyes with tetrachromatic vision allows for seeing ultraviolet light (UV) wavelengths. We can't perceive UV wavelengths because we don't have those fourth type of cones. So in an indoor environment without UV light, birds are not seeing that fourth wavelength and are not using their vision like they would in the wild. Not enough studies have been done on it, but we know with budgies they see color differently under UV light. Artificial light doesn't damage or undo anything, it's just missing a component that allows birds to use their vision to the fullest.

Yes, my vet recommended UV lighting. It was when I brought my older female budgie in for acting sick, but unfortunately she died of a reproduction system tumor/illness before I tried it out for her so I'm going to provide it for my quiet male anyways and see if it helps him. He's a healthy bird but just not active. I'll update the post if/when I implement UV lighting and if anything notable happens with his behavior.

BLKil83

Moving in
As for the ZooMed bulb, it has been recommended by vets so with some extra precautions (and some testing, as there have been differing reviews of its safety) it should be okay. Arcadia seems to be the best bet and is probably what I'd go with, due to the extremely low level of UVB/UVA output and the fact that the bulb is a T5.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Gotcha! I'm so sorry to hear about your female budgie. I lost an otherwise healthy boy to kidney failure-- sometimes there is nothing you can do.

I do know about their amazing tetrachromatic vision! I think my confusion is that-- if you are mostly concerned about their vision/mood-- tetrachromic vision is enabled by UVA rays, specifically, not UVB. That's why UVB bulbs do nothing for a bird already getting complete vitamin supplementation-- they do nothing for their vision at all.

Normal glass windows do block nearly 100% of UVB, but (depending on the glass) usually only block about 1/4 of UVA rays. There are a lot of studies about which UV rays get through what kind of glass (because of human skin cancer, not birds). If you don't have many windows (or are in a very dreary climate), though, I suppose a UVA bulb could be a good solution (I just personally wouldn't bother with UVB at all, because of the risks). I know there are tools to measure UV, but they are probably pricier than the experiment warrants.

BLKil83

Moving in
UVB bulbs sold for pets usually contain UVA as well. Both of the bulbs I'm considering contain both. I tried to just use "UV light" to describe it but I guess I may have accidentally put "UVB light" as a generalizer somewhere. There aren't any bulbs for pets that are purely UVA that I know about, which tends to be a good thing since the majority of animals that require UV lighting need UVB more than UVA (reptiles) and lots of people don't exactly do their research so could end up getting the wrong type and harming their reptile. Unfortunately that means it can be harder to get bulbs for other animals, like birds.

I only have one window in the room my bird is in and in addition to the window facing north, we don't get much daylight for a pretty large chunk of the year so I get little to no sunlight entering the room most of the time.

Yep, there are tools you can buy to measure UV output, and usually you can find someone who has tested the product you're looking at with a little digging (or just purchase one yourself). The Arcadia bulb I'm considering actually has the UVB values at various distances posted on their website as measured by a solar meter, and I'm pretty sure I can get the UVA measurements from them as well.

Last edited: