• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best UV Light?

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
Hi! I'll be rescuing a cockatiel or two in a while, after renovations are complete, and was wondering what the best UV light is? I'm considering the Featherbrite, and have seen before and after photo comparisons to other brands. Any better brand I may want to know about? Thanks!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There are a ton of threads about this topic on here. I still need to figure out which one too. I start reading threads, my eyes glaze (I don't have an ounce of scientific understanding in me), and I'm back to square one......without.

I'm always hopeful when a thread starts that this time I'll understand replies. So..... here's hoping!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have featherbrites and change the bulb every six months.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I just went through this a couple months ago. I did extensive reading and surfing the net and also came up with the decision to get featherbright lighting from MSBS which had the best price I could find. My birds play on the flat top cage at times during the day so I put the lamp on top in the morning hours until about 12 noon and them take it down for a play session. I admit its a pain to move it back and forth and would rather have a floor lamp but if not the type of lamp that has a long arm to reach over the cage the lights will shine in the birds eyes which can ultimately blind them. Here is the one I got> Shopping - Products by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
Sorry for inserting myself in the thread but how can I use UV lamps for a playtop cage? The top has a tray which blocks out light from the top.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I use frathetbrite, and like it. You do have to remember to change the bulb every once in a while. I only leave mine on for two hours in the middle of the day. They also make a swag type lamp you can hang from the ceiling.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
@saroj12 Good! What do you think about it?
I like them. They are easy to use, and the cord is long, attached to a sort of arm that takes it out of the reach of the beak. Just have to be careful, as with any bulb, not to break it. Mercury in it is a hazard.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Sorry for inserting myself in the thread but how can I use UV lamps for a playtop cage? The top has a tray which blocks out light from the top.
I throw away my trays and get a piece of plexiglass to fit. While I am out, i slide the sheet off and put the lamp on. When I get home I switch it off, let it cool and store it outside the birdroom.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
15 minutes outside in the sun will do more for your bird than a whole week of sitting under a light.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
John I took my birds outside on balcony on a nice day. Temp was 70. Within five minutes they were panting. The small cage had air circulation on all sides. So I have not done this again.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
John I took my birds outside on balcony on a nice day. Temp was 70. Within five minutes they were panting. The small cage had air circulation on all sides. So I have not done this again.
Outside in the shade is the same intensity as as sunlight as far as UV goes.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you sure? That's good to know.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
15 minutes outside in the sun will do more for your bird than a whole week of sitting under a light.
This is so true!

And yes, the outdoor shade is just as good for UV exposure. I think the lights are only really needed in the winter when it's too cold to take the birds outside.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The main purpose of lights is to provide bright Daylight temperature light for their special vision. There is noticeably more activity and vocalization.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The sun is much better and more efficient. John is correct that 15 minutes, even in the shade, provides more than a bulb does. The bulbs have inconsistent output, and they need to be very close to the bird to be of any benefit. Of course, being 6-12 inches away from a light puts them at risk for eye damage.

I just use full spectrum daylight bulbs (not UV) so they see in their full capability.

Here's some information about uv in the shade. It does help block some UV but not all. The shady truth about shade - Health & Wellbeing

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Outside in the shade is the same intensity as as sunlight as far as UV goes.
what amount if any uv do my birds get when they fly out to the covered flying room? It has a short brick wall, then the wire and screen and it's got grass on three sides. Sun comes in from the sides a little and the plexiglass is transparent. @JLcribber

I take them out in direct sun in travel cages on cooler days.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
what amount if any uv do my birds get when they fly out to the covered flying room? It has a short brick wall, then the wire and screen and it's got grass on three sides. Sun comes in from the sides a little and the plexiglass is transparent. @JLcribber

I take them out in direct sun in travel cages on cooler days.

Glass (or Plexiglas) blocks UV. Through a larger mesh would still work. Too fine screen will also block it.

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
Wow, thanks for all of the extra information! I'll be sure to take them outside as often as possible, and will be purchasing a harness and travel cage for that Purpose. I'm glad to hear that the featherbrite is indeed a good investment! Thank you everyone for all of the extra info given here!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can't you just get any lamp and put a UV bulb inside? I wanted to get a flexible floor lamp and not the Zoo Med lamp. I need to get my birds outside more often. The weather is very nice here right now....70s & 80s.