• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Starter Veggies?

Jenw12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
My cockatiel doesn't eat anything but the millet from his seed mix. He gets Volkman seed mix with no Sunflowers. He only cares for the small seeds anyway so he wouldn't eat the Sunflowers if it had them in it. Anyway, I'm going shopping tomorrow, so what are some good starter fruits and veggies to get a him to at least try?

Tomorrow I was thinking about mixing in his food bowl quinoa, peas, carrots, and apples/pears. That's what I have in my fridge right now. Is that a good start? Should I keep the same mix until he tries it? How long should I keep the mix out for the day?

Thanks!

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Usually more "starchy" veggies, like peas and (small, diced) carrots. And although corn is a grain, cooked kernels can act as a gateway into getting them to eat actual veggies.

For a tiel, you might want to try very thinly shredded pieces of carrot and greens.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What you have is a good mix to try. Sometimes they are like little kids that don't liek their food to touch :lol: Try to cut up just a little bit of each in varying ways (like little cubes, little sticks, etc) because sometimes they prefer a shape over another.

Another good fresh food for picky birds is sprouts! They are full of nutrients and usually loved by birds that are seed eaters.

I usually keep mine out for about 4 hours before I remove it.

Is he on a pellet at all? That will help get some nutrients in him that he will be lacking from the seeds.

Jenw12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
What you have is a good mix to try. Sometimes they are like little kids that don't liek their food to touch :lol: Try to cut up just a little bit of each in varying ways (like little cubes, little sticks, etc) because sometimes they prefer a shape over another.

Another good fresh food for picky birds is sprouts! They are full of nutrients and usually loved by birds that are seed eaters.

I usually keep mine out for about 4 hours before I remove it.

Is he on a pellet at all? That will help get some nutrients in him that he will be lacking from the seeds.
He is not on pellets. He is a rescue and when I got him he came on a seed diet. I tried pellets but ultimately gave up. I'll try again though as I know it is important. Right now I'll stick with veggies and then when I can I'll order pellets and get that back in his diet.

Jenw12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks guys for the replies! I will try those ideas out! I hope he's open to the new change lol!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
You can also trying putting veggie pieces on a skewer and see if he'll chew on it as a toy.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
sprouts and broccolini - there's something about those big buds on broccolini that is fun.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He is not on pellets. He is a rescue and when I got him he came on a seed diet. I tried pellets but ultimately gave up. I'll try again though as I know it is important. Right now I'll stick with veggies and then when I can I'll order pellets and get that back in his diet.

It can take a lot of time and persistence. It took my Quaker, who I brought home at 3 months old, 6 months to convert!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels don't usually eat fruit. So concentrate on vegetables instead. Raw broccoli cut into tiny pieces is a good way to start, as the tops look like little seeds chopped up. My tiel also loved all kinds of lettuce- romaine, boston, etc. You can try hanging some leaves from the cage. Also, you may have luck with nutriberries. A lot of tieles like those rather than regular pellets. You can also make birdie bread and crush up pellets and add vegetables to that.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My cockatiel and lovies all tried orange vegetable first like carrot, pumpkin and sweet potato. He might like broccoli because it looks like it has seeds.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
The first veggie my birds ever tried was broccoli. Then cauliflower. Now they like broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, parsley, and sweet potato. I know a lot of birds really seem to like sweet potato, so maybe try that?

Be creative with how you offer the food. Birds can be very picky. Try offering the food in different forms, or perhaps incorporate the new food in to one of his favorite toys somehow.

I also agree that you should try sprouted seed. He will most likely accept it much quicker as it is literally just healthier seed. :)

Jenw12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
The first veggie my birds ever tried was broccoli. Then cauliflower. Now they like broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, parsley, and sweet potato. I know a lot of birds really seem to like sweet potato, so maybe try that?

Be creative with how you offer the food. Birds can be very picky. Try offering the food in different forms, or perhaps incorporate the new food in to one of his favorite toys somehow.

I also agree that you should try sprouted seed. He will most likely accept it much quicker as it is literally just healthier seed. :)

I have tried broccoli and and cauliflower and carrot to no avail. But I am still offering it everyday. :D In different styles and ways. So now I will try sweet potato! I have tried sprouted seeds and it didn't work, they didn't want it. But I can always try again! The biggest thing I keep telling myself is to not give up! :)