• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best moment with wild birds ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have that today, and I still can't believe it happened. :)

As you know "I" have two pairs of Ringneck doves. (wild and are of course outside)
I have been feeding them for years and they are not afraid of me at all.
The only reason I don't tame them is because I want them (for their safety) to have distance to people because not all people are nice to birds and animals.

So today we where outside, and it's was very hot so I sprayed my girls several times.
One of the pairs of doves was social and decided to take a bath too. One of them where placed in that bowl and the other one was laying close and just holding up one wing. (sunbathing)
I don't know why but I got a silly feeling that they also wanted a spray bath. But as soon as I was thinking it I was 100% sure that they only would freak out if I would try that.

But they did look at me, and both where laying their sunbathing as they wanted something more.
And as I still was 100% sure that they would fly away I did start to spray them.
I don't know why, my brain said not to, but my heart say, do it! :D
Once I started the one that was not placed in the bowl lifted both wings and seems to enjoyed it.
So I did get closer and continued spraying, and they both get into "bathmode". :) :) :)
I was spraying almost the hole bottle and I was only 1 m away from them.
It was really a holy moment. It felt that not only I can feed and give them water, I also was allowed to help them taking a bath.

I don't know if it ever will happen again, but I will keep this time in my memory forever. ♥

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How awesome!:fairy2: It’s so nice they have you for their friend, and I’m glad they enjoyed their bath. A special moment for sure!:xflove:

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a special moment for all three of you!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That is so amazing! But I am sure they are pampered now and will return regularly for their showers. :D

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
It is such a thrill!
I know how it feels, it makes you happy for days.
Sometimes when I water my flower garden a hummingbird will come and look at me a certain way, and I know he wants a spray bath.
It is such fun to do it and I have a huge grin whenever I think of it.
I know your friends will let you do it again!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That is so special, @Eloy ! I am so happy for you. And happy for them, that you are their Person.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It's the little things in life that make us happy (though winning the lotto wouldn't hurt).

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:laugh: such a special moment!!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
That is so cool that they trust you enough to let you spray them down while bathing. Dobby finally decided that it was OK to use his shower cage in the shower like he used to do with Momazon and it certainly was special to see him in full happy shower mode after all this time together.
I bet your friends will want more shower help now that they survived and actually enjoyed it.
Sometimes you just have to take a chance and see how it goes.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
zing! But I am sure they are pampered now and will return regularly for their showers. :D
When my daughter was visiting, she made a shallow bird pond for the wild birds. It has a fountain with a perch to spray them.
What a special relationship y'all have! :bounce8:I wonder if they know how lucky they are! (Your girls, too.)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Nothing as neat as spraying wild birds but I do have 4 bird baths out in the yard 2 in front and 2 in the back. Two are heated, one in each yard, so the birds have water in the winter too.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Same here, but I only have 3 and now the pond which froze this past winter. I just didn't think about that because my big pond doesn't freeze down here. I've been debating whether or not to put a heating element in the bird pond. The unheated birdbath like the bird pond was all ice while the heated ones stayed liquid.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Same here, but I only have 3 and now the pond which froze this past winter. I just didn't think about that because my big pond doesn't freeze down here. I've been debating whether or not to put a heating element in the bird pond. The unheated birdbath like the bird pond was all ice while the heated ones stayed liquid.
I'll have to look for it but I have a photo of my deck railing bird bath during the major Polar vortex a couple of years ago. The sparrows were having a blast and they didn't all fit in. I could've charged for entry ....

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Thanks! I'd love to see it! I have a fenced in back patio. The bird pond is just outside it. The sparrows park in the fence and take turns bathing, eating and drinking. Sparrows are soooooo funny and always playing.:lol:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
How awesome!:fairy2: It’s so nice they have you for their friend, and I’m glad they enjoyed their bath. A special moment for sure!:xflove:
Thank you! ♥

Thank you! ♥
What a special moment for all three of you!
Thank you! ♥
It's totally awesome when we can interact with the really wild ones. The doves have the best of both worlds with you.
Thank you! ♥
That is so amazing! But I am sure they are pampered now and will return regularly for their showers. :D
Thank you! ♥
I really hope they will. I will be honored to spray them again.
It is such a thrill!
I know how it feels, it makes you happy for days.
Sometimes when I water my flower garden a hummingbird will come and look at me a certain way, and I know he wants a spray bath.
It is such fun to do it and I have a huge grin whenever I think of it.
I know your friends will let you do it again!
Thank you! ♥
Yes, I'm still happy about that.
And I love your hummingbird. That is so cute! ♥

That is so special, @Eloy ! I am so happy for you. And happy for them, that you are their Person.
Thank you! ♥
It's the little things in life that make us happy (though winning the lotto wouldn't hurt).
Thank you! ♥
Yes it is! That is what makes me happy. (but winning the lottery would not make me sad. :D )
:laugh: such a special moment!!
Thank you! ♥
That is so cool that they trust you enough to let you spray them down while bathing. Dobby finally decided that it was OK to use his shower cage in the shower like he used to do with Momazon and it certainly was special to see him in full happy shower mode after all this time together.
I bet your friends will want more shower help now that they survived and actually enjoyed it.
Sometimes you just have to take a chance and see how it goes.
Thank you! ♥
And congrats Terry! :) I love to spray mine too, and I always call them my crazy bathers. :D
@Eloy :needpics: though I love the story and would like more dove stories.
Thank you! ♥
I wouldn't dare to take a pic, I was terrified that it would ruin our holy moment.
But here are an older video of one of them sunbathing, but it looks more like taking a nap.. :p
When my daughter was visiting, she made a shallow bird pond for the wild birds. It has a fountain with a perch to spray them.
What a special relationship y'all have! :bounce8:I wonder if they know how lucky they are! (Your girls, too.)
Thank you! ♥

Nothing as neat as spraying wild birds but I do have 4 bird baths out in the yard 2 in front and 2 in the back. Two are heated, one in each yard, so the birds have water in the winter too.
That is awesome! Love that! ♥

Status
Not open for further replies.