• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Food Mix for Budgies?

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Right now my birds are on a diet of pellets, seed, and vegetables. Still trying with the fruit - no luck. I've tried strawberry, banana, and grape. Will keep trying, but I know not to feed as much fruits as vegetables.

The pellets the birds are currently munching on are ZuPreem fruity pellets for Budgies and similar-sized birds. I know this colors the poop and is high and sugar, so this is only temporary. The first pellets my birds tried was Roudybush; I want to switch over to that again. The seed I'm feeding is WildHarvest Daily Blend, Nutrition Diet for Parakeets, Canaries, and Finches. This seed is offered more as a treat, as I know dry seed is not nutritious, particularly this Wild Harvest brand.

So my question: I've seen those bird food mixes with seed, pellets, fruit, etc in them and I might be interested in trying that as an extra in their diet. I could use it in foraging toys and as snacks. But, are they really any good? If so, what brands are the best for small birds like Budgies? Again, this won't be their main part of the diet, and plenty of vegetables and fresh foods will still be offered. It's just to give them a variety of yummy things.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I feed Roudybush pellets and just three types of seed in an even mix - canary, white millet and red millet. The parakeets do not eat any other seeds, and it's wasteful to buy more varied seed mixes. I either buy these three seeds seperately at a feed store, or just buy a mix of wild finch seed which is mostly those constituents - though in that case, they leave the thistle and sunflower chips at the bottom of the bowl (but my canaries and gerbils eat those, so I replace their mix and dump the leftovers in the other pets' dishes.)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The Goldenfeast Australian blend might be good :) And Goldenfeast Petite Hookbill Legume is definitely a smaller blend that they might like!

My birds all really like the Higgins Worldly Cuisines cookable foods too, particularly the African Sunset.