• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Bird Lamps?

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
So, I know that there have been many threads in the past discussing and debating the usefulness of UV lighting for birds. I know that these lights don't help all that much with getting birds their vitamin D - the UV light bulbs simply can't compare to true sunlight or pellets supplemented with vitamin D. And so, of course, I plan on continuing offering my birds these superior sources of vitamin D.

HOWEVER, I am still thinking of investing in a UV lamp for the birds. For a few reasons. For one, there is simply the practical aspect that, in the birdie area of the living room, it gets kind of dim, and rather than putting just any old lamp there, I think it would best to put a UV bird safe lamp there. I've read somewhere (though I don't remember where) that UV light is important in order to help birds see clearly. I also suspect that as the days get darker sooner, the bird's routine has been thrown off, especially on days when I have class after work and I don't get home as early as usual. I think it would be nice to have a UV lamp set on a timer so that, even though the sun is setting at different times, the birds have a consistent schedule.

So now that I've justified why I want to buy a UV lamp, here is my real question: What is the best bird lamp?

I was looking at this one, since it seems to have good reviews: Bird Lighting: Zoo Med AvianSun Deluxe Floor Lamp

I've been leaning towards a floor lamp so that, even when the birds are out sitting on top of the cage, they can still have the lamp on. But of course, I don't want something that will top over!!! :wideyed:

So, before I commit to buy one of these lamps, I would love to hear your perspectives. :) What avian lamps have you used? Which lamps would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!!! :D

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
That’s the one I got for Boo (my mutilator) and she really likes it. I’ve had no trouble with it. I got the one that comes with the bulb (I think the link you posted is just the lamp itself - I think this one is the bundle: Zoo Med Avian Sun™ Deluxe Floor Lamp for Birds w/ 5.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Bulb)
You know, I was wondering if they were the same. For the one I posted, there is the option of adding the bulb if you choose... I was not sure if they lamps were the same or not because they seem to have totally different sets of reviews. :huh:

It is good to hear that you have not had any trouble with it. How long have you had it, if you don't mind my asking?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Lighting with a high CRI index so colors are correct is important. I don't think this has a CRI of 90 or above. I had one a long time ago, and the light it put off was weird, and the stand was wobbly. I don't know if they fixed these issues since then, but I don't see any mention of CRI.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was surprised at the bad reviews, too! I’ve had the lamp since November 3rd and it seems to soothe her. I don’t have a problem with the lamp staying my upright. It’s also not a heavy lamp.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Lighting with a high CRI index so colors are correct is important. I don't think this has a CRI of 90 or above. I had one a long time ago, and the light it put off was weird, and the stand was wobbly. I don't know if they fixed these issues since then, but I don't see any mention of CRI.
Huh. I thought the UV light was the main thing they needed to see. I've never head of CRI, and frankly, I'm not sure what it means. :blink:

I was surprised at the bad reviews, too! I’ve had the lamp since November 3rd and it seems to soothe her. I don’t have a problem with the lamp staying my upright. It’s also not a heavy lamp.
Do you think they have more recently put out a new improved model?

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you think they have more recently put out a new improved model?
I’m not sure, but I may end up getting more of them when I have some more money.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
CRI is color rendering index. 90plus will give you true colors, anything else and colors look off. Do you ever go into a store to buy a shirt, but when you go outside the color of it looks different? Thant’s why. UV also helps birds see their full spectrum.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
CRI is color rendering index. 90plus will give you true colors, anything else and colors look off. Do you ever go into a store to buy a shirt, but when you go outside the color of it looks different? Thant’s why. UV also helps birds see their full spectrum.
Got it! Maybe I can call customer service to ask about it?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I used to have this very lamp and now have the featherbright that sits on the top of the cage. Reason is the lamp frame is unsteady at best and the lamp is not tall enough to shine from above. It shines from beside the cage which I believe can do some damage to a birds eyes.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Lady Jane Mine is tall enough to over the cage. Good thing to check, though.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I used to have this very lamp and now have the featherbright that sits on the top of the cage. Reason is the lamp frame is unsteady at best and the lamp is not tall enough to shine from above. It shines from beside the cage which I believe can do some damage to a birds eyes.
Thank you! I will check for the height.

How do you like your featherbright? I would be a little concerned about the cord getting within the bird's reach. Do you move it every time the birds are out?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I put the lamp on top of flight cage which as you know is flat for the am hours and some of pm hours every few days, not every day. When my birds are out of the cage I take the lamp away. I also have to put something under the wire legs of the lamp when it is use so the wire legs don't go between the cage wires and into the cage. These legs are made with a hook on the end to hold a toy but if you put the lamp up that way I think its too close to the birds. Quite frankly its a PIA to put up and take down. I wish I did have a lamp base that had a long arm so it would swing over the top of the cage but I don't.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is the one I have white-capitol-universal-light-9.gif

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I like the floor lamp- I'm just not someone who can have floor lamps near her birds (they climb on EVERYTHING!)
Thankfully, the house I purchased had outlets built into the ceiling. I was able to add another one above the bird cage, and install light fixtures that plug in right above their cages. I've also seen people run a cord up their wall and cover it with bird-safe material (my friend used a thin PVC, which kept the birds from being able to grab or pick at the cord).